BBC World Service listeners: radio or internet?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by AB2T, Nov 23, 2012.

?

How do you listen to BBCWS?

1. radio only

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. online only

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. mix of the two options

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. I never listen to the Beeb

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been a daily BBCWS listener ever since I was in early high school. I still listen to the Beeb on SW (usually the West or South African services), but more and more I'm listening on the internet. I find it's not worth it to follow a frequency schedule. How do you listen to the Beeb these days, especially since their SW services have been severely curtailed?

2. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Via telly once a fortnight or thereabout.

3. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

4. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

BBCWS appears overnight on our local PBS stations (except on saturday night on my favorite local PBS). when that happens i turn on the siriusxm--it appears there. if i'm on the street i can get it as a stream on my mobile phone. recent cuts to BBCWS (now funded out of the license fee instead of the foreign office) make it somewhat less interesting--radio 4 has a lot of the features that BBCWS had and this is available over the net.

5. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hail my fellow Radio 4 lovers!!!!

6. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

Completely agreed -- BBCWS quality has deteriorated quickly over the years. This is especially true after BBCWS moved from Bush House to Broadcasting House. BBC Radio 4 still has the radio plays and game shows that were once on BBCWS.

I listen to Radio 4 all day via their web stream. At midnight GMT (7 pm here in New York) I switch to "Funkhaus Europa", a digital music network hosted by a number of German broadcasters. I suggest the Funkhaus Europa "spirits" stream -- R&B, soul, blues, and international hip-hop. Good mix.

73, Jordan

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

The Michigan (U of M) FM network (They have several 100,000 W transmitters and more mid power 30-50kW outlets all over the state) rebroadcasts BBC WS all night. I believe it is cheap time filler when the aucience is at its minimum numbers. It's suprising that with all the money they get from PBS and corporate sponsors they can't hire a good classical music DJ for the night shift like Michigan State radio does.
    Anyone with a $29.95 portable with SW can hear this world service direct.
    Some years ago you could hear the North American service but they cut it due to diminishing budgets.

8. NN5AA

NN5AA Ham Member QRZ Page

On an old National HRO-50-T1. Great sensitivity and audio quality.

9. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear it via NPR, when I'm in the car late evenings every now and then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.