Batteries for a Yaesu FT-891 (or the older FT-857)

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N1RVN, Feb 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a photo:

global solar 42w.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  2. N1RVN

N1RVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry for the late reply... I get a good four hours of operation out of each the 6Ah batteries. SSB at full 100 watts, estimated RX/TX ratio 80/20.

3. N2YTA

N2YTA Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone tried using 8 alkaline D cells?

4. W4ZNG

W4ZNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I've operated my FT-817nd off of 8 high-output AA cells. These were 2.5 AH Eneloop Pro rechargeable NiMH's (the black ones), and things ran well for about 2 hours on a mix of digital, SSB with a speech compressor, and FM. Regular 2 AH Eneloops (the white ones) barely lasted a half hour. I doubt that conventional alkaline AA's would do any better.

I know you asked about D cells, but after several days' wait and no answers, this is as close as I can add anything to.

5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

6. N2YTA

N2YTA Ham Member QRZ Page

I was just thinking of using D cells emergency back up. I've purchased a battery holder on eBay. When it comes I'll try it and report my findings.

7. N7BCM

N7BCM Ham Member QRZ Page

Food for thought men, I didn't read every reply here all the way through so this may have been mentioned. I too own an 891 (love it) and there are some fairly new you tube videos out and one gentlemen did a real good test of the current draws at different power outputs. Max at 100 watt is only 15.2 amps... Receive draw is .9-1.03 amps, TX power at 5 watts 5.6-5.7 amps, 10 watts 6.9 amps, 20w 8.3 amps, 30 watts 9.3 amps, 40 watts 10.4 amps, 50 watts 11.5 amps. I didn't write down the rest of them but that gives you guys a good idea who want to run this radio portable.

8. NY2X

NY2X Ham Member QRZ Page

Any luck?

9. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was running a 10ah Lifepo4 battery. It worked, but 100w transmit was limited to less than 30 minutes or so of hunt/peck ssb calling and answering. I saved a lot of power by running at 20w to 50w, and didn't lose much signal.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with a 15 to 20Ah battery for a 100w rig.

10. F4HPX

F4HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Mine 22Ah was lasting 5 hours at 80W in field day/contest style of operation.