Basic 2 Meter Ht for Emergency Ops

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2CFT, Jul 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the poster was thinking about climbing a tower for better range to hit a repeater and missed the part about Baofengs being cheap enough to drop.

2. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

This!
    I cannot think of any disaster where all the AM and FM broadcast stations for hundreds of miles around are off the air. Your smart phone might be dead, your internet might be out along with the cable, but while you are trying to find some 2 meter station to talk to for third hand information the local news and weather stations probably are broadcasting everything you need to know ;)

WA9SVD likes this.
  3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

And likewise, I was thinking about routine maintenance/repair on a tower. Neither is an impossibility, but depending upon the "emergency," (e.g. earthquake) the LAST thing I would want to do is climb a tower until the ground stops shaking. A recent example is in the Ridgecrest/Little Lake sequence. A M=6.4 event was THOUGHT to be the main quake, but a day later an M=7.1 shaker hit the same area. I would NOT want to be on a tower when THAT struck! (Assuming, of course, the tower actually withstood the bigger 'quake.)
    And to be a bit frivolous, and NOT to make light of the damage in the Ridgecrest and Trona area, I'd still rather drop a Baofeng than a Kenwood from a tower...

4. N1NA

N1NA Subscriber QRZ Page

We ran a ARES simplex net here, using base stations, then asked for check ins using HTs only. It was a very good test

W4NNF likes this.