Basic 2 Meter Ht for Emergency Ops

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2CFT, Jul 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I honestly didn't read all the responses but to me, the most important thing in any communications "emergency kit" is to use it frequently.

There's a reason CD/RACES "drills" used to occur every single week. "Operator training" was a very small part of that reason -- the real reason was to assure the equipment actually worked if needed.

Putting something in a "kit" in storage for months at a time assures nothing.

N4RBZ and W4IOA like this.
  3. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Besides the 2M HT, I'd also get a portable broadcast receiver. Something pocket sized that runs on AA batteries. Maybe with SW as well.
    I like my C Crane Skywave. AM/FM/SW, weather, air. Under $100 and small.

4. N4FZ

N4FZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

WHICH models work on alkaline batteries???

6. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

Any of them that fit the standard UV5R extended battery pack.

https://www.amazon.com/BTECH-BaoFen...+battery+pack&qid=1563316950&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Very first one on amazon. Look around if you want a better price. It uses 5 AA and a single battery eliminator that comes with it. You don't need the battery eliminator if you use the slightly lower voltage NI-MH aa batteries.

7. KE0TNL

KE0TNL Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a Kenwood th-k20a. Has a impact resistant body.
    image_product01_big.jpg

8. WA9SVD

The Kenwoods may well be impact resistant, but I'd MUCH rather drop a Baofeng from the top of a tower, than a Kenwood...:D

KE0TNL and K2CAJ like this.
  9. KE0TNL

KE0TNL Ham Member QRZ Page

@WA9SVD that's a very weird way to ensure you get into a repeater but whatever works. I don't drop things from towers so I guess I don't really have that issue or worry. :D:cool::rolleyes:

10. WA9SVD

I'm puzzled. I WAS responding to a post (above) about the ruggedness of Kenwood H-T's, which I do not deny. But if I'm on a tower, I would be truly upset IF I had the misfortune to drop a Kenwood H-T for whatever reason. If I had a Baofeng instead, I would be upset if it was dropped, but certainly not emotionally or economically as much so. I don't see where repeaters are involved. I certainly don't drop things when working on a tower on purpose, and take as many precautions as possible.. I guess you have never had :oops:accidents.:rolleyes: Or worked on towers?:rolleyes: