ad: MultusSDR-1

Basic 2 Meter Ht for Emergency Ops

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2CFT, Jul 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For family use, I have 2 each FT-270 HT's. They keep us in-touch...

2. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had a FT-270 for 10 years now, it's a decent performing radio. I have a mag mount on my truck for it when I ran mobile, and a g3 vertical on a tv antenna mast using a tripod i tip up if I need better coverage at home. When I lived in Oregon I had the 270 connected to a g9 vertical mounted on the roof for my home station, 5 watts on that antenna got me great coverage.

3. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

4. N2CFT

N2CFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking on line I'm getting mixed information about these radios, FT 60R and FT 270R, being able to receive am and fm broadcast bands. Anyone know if they cover broadcast bands? And some say TV also. Thanks, john

5. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

My 270 receives NOAH and some forestry stations and that's about it. Not much 2m stuff in the mid-south.
    For that kind of stuff find a stand alone am/fm radio that has SW capabilities. I have a pocket sized Grundig from before Radio Shack went belly up. It's biggest minus is it's drifty.

6. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

The baofeng does.

7. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Look up the actual specs on the radios to be sure. Without an internal AM broadcast band "bar" antenna don't expect to hear much unless you have an external wire antenna. The stock and after market "duck" antennas won't begin to cut it. They do okay on most FM broadcast stations that are reasonably close by.
    With out of band receive mods look the mods up and see what they say it will do for you.

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In a serious emergency, an HT will soon be rendered useless. A decent mobile radio paired with a good antenna makes more sense. One with 50 - 75 watts of output since you'll soon be going simplex. Not a bad idea to occasionally test run a simplex net either--we've done that down here with some success.

9. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

The FT-60 does not cover the broadcast bands, unless you consider NOAA weather radio to be on a broadcast band.

It receives AM, but only on VHF/UHF, and the only use of that these days is airband, which it does receive. An AM receiver is also useful for hunting noise sources on bands even if nobody intentionally transmits AM there.

The FT-60 doesn't cover the FM broadcast band frequency range, nor does it have a wide FM demodulator, so it can't receive broadcast FM. Not sure if any analog TV channels fall in its range, but the lack of a wide FM demodulator would be a problem, as well as the fact that TV has almost totally transitioned to digital, which the FT-60 doesn't support.

The Yaesu VX-6 does support the AM and FM broadcast bands, and is more rugged, submersible, and smaller than the FT-60. I like it better than the FT-60 in every way except it lacks the FT-60's ability to transmit at full power with alkaline batteries. It's also more expensive, and frankly, I'd recomend a common small transistor radio if broadcast reception is important.

10. KN4DQE

KN4DQE Ham Member QRZ Page

Baofeng - they may be craptastic as far as the spurious emissions but in an emergency they get the job done and they really are reliable. They receive all FM stations, as well as NOAA, etc. The extended battery packs (3800mAh) last a LONG time! I had one in my car for at least a month in a GHB and when I checked it, it was practically still full.

Plus they sell a USB adapter charger that you can use to charge it - meaning if you have a small folding USB charger you can charge the darn thing near anywhere as long as you have sun.