Basic 2 Meter Ht for Emergency Ops

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2CFT, Jul 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N2CFT

N2CFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking for suggestions for a 2 meter H T for emergency use. Don't need any bells and whistles, just basic operations. Would like wide band receive but I think most have this and possible Mars coverage. I'm In Panama City and during Michael we had little or no communications for weeks as the Verizon cell network was down. Thanks, John

2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Comms with who? A 2M HT is going to be very limited without functioning repeater.

KK5JY likes this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

One that doesn't cost a lot, so when you get mad that all the repeaters are flooded with storm surge you're not out a lot of money.

Next post much more helpful.

4. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

I recommend the Yaesu FT-60. Reliable, easy to program from the keypad, able to do 5 watts on alkaline AA cells (with optional AA holder), water resistant enough to use in the rain (but not submersible). Wide band receive. A very popular radio for a very long time, with good reason.

NM9L, K3KIC, KQ0J and 1 other person like this.
  5. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ICOM IC-V86 ( One band, High power 7W, good audio, strong battery )
    YAESU FT-25R

Get an extra battery or even better a 12V power cord so you can run on external battery , a
    7-10 Ah SLA battery will run an HT for days.

Get a better antenna as well - an Auto Mag mount is handy or a roll up J-Pole.

6. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

Whatever you get, it should be from china.

I would say the baofeng uv-5r but that's not wide band receive. If you can live without that, then I would say get that.

KD4ZMV likes this.
  7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't know if this would work for you but I think most modern rigs are difficult to program and use,
    especially in an emergency/panic situation. I would keep an Icom 2AT handy. Very simple, thumbwheel
    set freq, no memories.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're looking for just a 2 meter handheld I would recommend the Yaesu FT-270. It's relatively easy to program on the fly, it's rugged and best of all it's waterproof. That way when all the repeaters are flooded out, it will still work after you drop it in the water.

9. N2CFT

N2CFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Wish I could get the 2AT. I had a Tempo HT in the early '80s. Similar to the Icom. Thanks for the suggestion.

10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember kids, the pros use Motorola.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    W2AI and K3KIC like this.