BAOFENG UV5RA

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KG6YFS, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KG6YFS

KG6YFS Ham Member

Hey all,
    I am trying to get the programming software for the UV5RA, I have not been able to use the software for the UV5R, every time I try it tells me it cannot communicate to the radio. Anyone have any suggestions or can send me a copy of the software. I have the proper drivers and cable installed(I think).
    Thanks
    Raul
    KG6YFS

2. ZONE3

ZONE3 QRZ Member

Try this: http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-Drivers.html

I have that same radio...they ( exporter ) supplied a 3 inch CD ...if you have any further probs...I c an .ISO the disc for you...and you can burn it.

Hope it works ( The Links ) for ya..

73 OM

3. KI6ZON

KI6ZON Ham Member

Try CHIRP - it's open source and written in English. You will need to download the most recent nightly build to work with a UV-5, but that worked fine for me.

Get CHIRP here: http://chirp.danplanet.com

-Sutter KI6ZON

4. KG6YFS

KG6YFS Ham Member

Well so far no luck. I tried with the cd that came with the cable, I tried the different drivers and right now I am downloading last nights build of CHIRP. I keep getting a error. I will copy the new error if there is one with the new build. This is supposed to be the newest radio which is the UV5RA...for some reason I just cant seem to get it to work. I am using Windows 8 and im wondering if that or the radio version that is causing the issue.

5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member

I see some 5Rs with suffix letters, anyone know what they mean?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

6. KG6YFS

KG6YFS Ham Member

I am getting radio did not respond error

7. KI6ZON

KI6ZON Ham Member

According to this web page, the only difference is firmware.

Where are you getting that error? After clicking "Download from Radio"? Or after selecting the COM port and clicking okay?

I tried to test it under my Evaluation Copy of Win 8, but it wouldn't allow me to install the drivers for the cable, so I couldn't get any farther.

If it would be easier, feel free to email me at the address listed on my QRZ page.

8. KD0TGA

KD0TGA XML Subscriber

KG6YFS, did you ever get this figured out? I was finally able to get my UV-5R+ programmed just yesterday and might be able to help you out.

9. KG6YFS

KG6YFS Ham Member

No still have not been able to get it programmed. How did you get it programmed?

10. KD0TGA

KD0TGA XML Subscriber

The main issue I had was the driver for the cable. For that, I used ZONE3's link (http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-Drivers.html) and used the "Choose from a list of drivers" option as shown in his screen shots. The other issue was with the Com port... I noticed the Baofeng program doesn't save what COM port it goes into, so you have to configure that every time you run the program.

11. KG6YFS

KG6YFS Ham Member

I got past that issue...for some reason I am still having the issue. I am going to try a win 7 machine and see if its the win 8 os

12. KJ4RBV

KJ4RBV Ham Member

Hey new to thread but not ham. I have the same radio and got a software that works but can't hook up to any repeaters. any help?

13. KG6YFS

KG6YFS Ham Member

Well i figured out what the problem was. Looms like the pins were just to short. They did not sit well. tried a friends and it worked. Im going to have to order a new cable by looking to see which one he ordered. It was only about 1millimeter to short.

14. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member

That sounds like my--- no, I won't say it.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

15. N2WCL

N2WCL Ham Member

I had a great deal of trouble with the software for the UV-5R until I discovered that you need to use older drivers. I found 3.3 Prolific driver worked great and it remembers the com port. The software that you could download was not the best so I used Chirp and both it and the radio work like a dream. Anyone else have the same/different luck as I did?

16. KF7YED

KF7YED Ham Member

Merry Christmas, all.
    I wish I'd checked this thread earlier-- I would have suggested checking the connector seating. I had read elsewhere that the connector for the UV-5R cable sometimes has a hard time seating correctly. One user even took an exacto knife and trimmed the plastic covering so it would fit better. You might try that if you're sure it was a mechanical issue.

I was getting the "no reply from radio" error, too, and even though I re-seated the plug it didn't seem to be the problem. Now I'm just used to having to retry the upload/download whichever I'm doing. Usually it works the second time. WHether I fiddle with the plug or not.

Are there any Baofeng experts on here? Not to hijack the thread, but I'm trying to figure out their software's naming system of CTCSS and tones, etc., to get mine to work on the local repeater. I've programmed many Icoms, mobile and handheld, and this Baofeng is a little different. Can anyone translate the Icom fields into Baofeng fields and save me some trial and error? :) Thanks.

17. KE9UA

KE9UA Premium Subscriber

Sutter,

If you have the UV5R you can get the correct software from Radio City's web site by searching for the Baofeng and at the bottom of the page you will find a link to download the software and drivers. Warning, the drivers for Win7 are troublesome and Win 7 will install a correct driver by itself. but, if you already installed a Prolific driver, uninstall it and at this same web site is a older driver for Win7/Vista that works just fine. Now, If you have a newer radio like the UV5RA you can find the correct software at Universal Radio's site. just search for Baofeng and it will also have a link to download the UV_5R_VIP for the Baofeng UV5RA radio. Use the BFRS software for the standard UV5R.
    Also at the Radio City's web site is a another link to go and download Chirp that also works with all the Baofeng radios. Hope this helps out. Be sure to set the correct com port when you install and use the software. It usually is com5. 73, Dennis

18. KG6YFS

KG6YFS Ham Member

It is the cable, I am sure of it...the pins have something that looks like a metal washer that will not let the pins go any further. I might try filing them down and see if I have any luck, if not, i am going to order a new cable from the same place my friend order it from. His worked fine the first time on my radio.

19. WK3U

WK3U Ham Member

Radio Not Responding

The radio not responding error reflects either you do have a driver installed (maybe the wrong driver) or you are not using the correct COM port. I had that problem when it was set to COM port 3, then realized the radio/cable was on COM port 5.

20. K7KHZ

K7KHZ XML Subscriber

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.