Baofeng UV- 5R models

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KC9YAR, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KC9YAR

KC9YAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Can anyone tell me the differences between the different models of the UV-5R 9 (UV-5RA, UV5RE, UV-5R+... ect). I just get my ticket and all the specs look the same to me.

Thanks,
    KC9YAR

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The UV5R is the unit most of us are somewhat familiar with - they have been selling quite well.

I found a listing for the UV5RA at Universal Radio. The ad there says it uses different firmware and has a different case than the UV5R. It also uses different programming software. ImportCommunications.com (formerly wouxun.us) lists the UV5RC - with another different case. There is no mention of the difference in programming software here.

Otherwise, I see no difference in function between them. I recently ordered a UV5R because so many of my Tech class students are using them, I thought I should learn how to program one, too. It also uses the same programming hardware as my Wouxun units, and it should be supported by the CHIRP programming tool, that I use for most of my VHF/UHF radios because it supports them all, and I can migrate a repeater list from one radio to another fairly easily.

I have two Wouxun radios, and they work well. The Wouxun KGUV1D and 2D are essentially identical, and the UV3D is only slightly different. The UV6D, however, is designed to meet the new FCC narrowband specs and channel step sizes needed.

Our local dealer, Radio City in Blaine, MN, sells the Wouxun, Baofeng, and TYT radios, and offers a warranty and repair service on them. I see they are now selling the Wouxun dualband mobile radio, as well. The store's owner, Dan Fish, recently spoke at out radio club. My guess is that they could give you all the details on the differences in these rigs.

3. VK4RU

VK4RU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a UV5R on order here to replace my 30 year old IC2A as the packet transceiver coupled to my 20 year old TNC 320. Not sure how to couple it up yet, but will work it out when the thing arrives. Ordered the programming cable and DC power cable too. Will report when I have a chance to set it up.

doug
    VK4RU

4. KC9YAR

Thanks for the replies. I ordered the UV5RA as my first radio with programing cable and an after market antenna. I'll let you know my thoughts as a nubee to ham radio about this radio.

Ed
    KC9YAR

5. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KF5SOQ

KF5SOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

KC9YAR, what antenna did you buy?

When you get your rig, could you report on the difference between the stock rubber duck (which works pretty well for me) and the antenna you got?

7. MI6KAK

MI6KAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, got one at Christmas, and happy so far. I read about the rubber duck and changed it to a Diamond RH 771 and there is a world of difference. Its a quarterwave on 2 Meters and a Halfwave on 70 CM. Would recommend an antenna upgrade. I opened up the rubber duck and basicly its a small coil/spring as you would expect which just cant compete.

73 Carl

8. K0RGR

I got my UV5R yesterday, and set it up today with CHIRP software. Be sure you have the latest 'daily build' version of the software. I used the programming cable for my Wouxun rigs.

Overall, it's a neat little radio. The receiver is not as good as the Wouxun, but the antenna is part of that issue. Still, if you are close to the repeater, it should work great.

9. KC9YAR

Just got my UV-5Ra on Monday. Reception is pretty good the local repeater comes in very strong and clear. My first attempt to transmit to it was not succesfull. I then did the fix to open up the mic hole and connected from about 10 miles out. The problem seems to be that the mic hole is to small for the mic to pick up anything on some of these radios not the transmit power (check out the forums on this radio, I took mine apart to be safe when I drilled the hole larger). The antenna I ordered for it was a Nagoya NA-771

10. K0RGR

OK, I am reducing my Baofebg UV5R from a 4 to a 1. There has been a reported problem with the squelch popping continuously. I set my squelch to 9 and it still does it.

Too bad, it's a nice little HT, but pretty worthless if you intend to use it to monitor with.

11. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a guess, it may be set for a priority channel and maybe pops when switching to that ???

I don't use priority channels.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

12. KV4TH

KV4TH Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my ticket Monday and since then have been using the UV-5R+ I got for Christmas. I have had numerous people ask what equipment I've using and have been impressed with the little HT. One person said "you mean to tell me you are mobile and DO NOT have an external antenna?". Another told me it sounding like I was sitting under the repeater. So far I like it.

13. K0RGR

No, it seems to happen randomly. Mine settled down, and hasn't done it for quite a while. My suspicion is that it's responding to noise bursts - perhaps the squelch is taken off before the limiter - and based on the noise I hear on weaker signals, I wonder if it has a limiter at all.

14. M6RDJ

M6RDJ Ham Member QRZ Page

i have uv5r cant figure out how to acess echolink on it how do i dial in and do i need to use dtmfst wot setting? want to acess gb3dy and others please some onepost a tutorial

15. KF7VXA

KF7VXA Ham Member QRZ Page

I think they just came out with a "6" model, supposed to be better at about the same price, you may want to look at it.

John

16. K3DBW

K3DBW Ham Member QRZ Page

ED:

I, too, am a new Ham and just recently purchased the uv-5ra. I also purchased the programming cable and cd; however, the cd that was sent was for the uv-5r, not the 5ra and did not run on windows 8. I tried CHIRP, but got now help. If you have had any luck in your programming, let me know what you did.

Thank you,

Don
    KB3ZUF

17. N7RAJ

N7RAJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm surprised people like these radios. Their ok and are getting better, but their far from daily usable quality. I had a new ham come to me with one. Programming one manually is a PITA, So he ordered a cable we tried using 3 different computers and couldn't get one to program over the PC, just headaches. The receive and transmit was not the best either even with a diamond antenna. I convinced the new ham to go get a Yaesu FT60r (Their about $100 more) and he noticed the major jump in quality right away. Better receiving and better signal reports.

Just remember, your going to get what you pay for. ( A Cheap Chinese Radio )

18. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have gobs of HTs.

But now I first grab one of my two UV-3Rs or one of my two UV-5Rs. They work very well for me.

I learn to manually program them. Don't use a puter.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

19. KI6JKC

KI6JKC Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got my 5R+ yesterday and successfully programmed it both on my Windows 7 PC and my imac. I used the CHIRP software and a cable I purchased with software on Amazon.
    It is called:[h=1]USB Programming Cable for BAOFENG UV-5R UV-3R+ Two way Radio With Driver CD [/h]Mark

20. K9OF

K9OF Subscriber QRZ Page

In manually programming my re, I can't get the proper UHF offset to work. I enter 05000 and I see on the display 05060. The 60 digits seem fixed and I am unable to write over them with any digit. I am in Freq. Mode and have cleared ch. 1.

Any ideas?

John, K9OF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.