Baofeng UV-5R Dual Band HT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KD5PCK, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KD5PCK

KD5PCK Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone own this radio? Just curious as to what your thoughts are. $65.99 on Amazon. Even if it dies after a year, that's one heck of a price.
    Here's the link to the HT on Amazon:
  2. K4AX

K4AX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've got one, I love it, great HT for the price, and the build quality is better than any Chinese HT I've seen, and I've seen pretty much all of them as I've been buying them for over five years now.

Anyway, if you're looking to buy from a us seller and not from 409shop in HK, then I'd get it from Ed at
    65 shipped and he ships quickly.
  3. N7GH

N7GH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I purchased one off of EBay--under 45 dollars including shipping to my door from Hong Kong. The radio is a basic 2 Watt HT, it works well. It is so small that I could hardly belive it works, it's about the size of a 25 stick pack of gum. I live in a area that does not have many repeaters and those that are around are far apart: this little radio will not make the haul for anything that is more than about a mile or 2 away from you. I sold mine to a club member that wanted one to carry in their pocket when they were in town--about a mile from the repeater, and he loves it. Adding a bigger antenna helps, but really, the reason you buy it is because it's small. It really looked strange with my Diamond triband sticking out the top of it. The manual is done by a non-English speaker (I even hesitate to say a person with English as their second language), but there is a manual downloadable on line that was done by a fellow HAM. So basically, if you have a collection of repeaters within 2 miles of where you want to use the radio, it will probably work good for you. Programming, as true on every HT I've ever had, is an exercise in frustration--buy the software and cable for programming.

BTW: be warned--in the manual it says press knob in and turn... what they really mean is pull knob out and turn. Also the "Alarm" goes out over the air when you activate it.
  4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Think the HT N7GH is speaking of is the UV-3R. The UV-5R is a 4W HT, with Touchtone pad and a nice 3 color LCD display. Actually, the UV-5R letters are a little smaller than the UV-3R. I have both the UV-3R+PLUS and the UV-5R. Both are best programmed through a Kenwood type programming cable. The earlier UV-3R's had a single jack much like the Yaesu VX series.

I have an extensive writeup on both. Lessee if I can find the links.......

The UV-5R is indeed a FB HT and better than the 3R in most ways. Most important is that it has a real volume control while the 3R has a digital volume control that just KINDA works.

I have tested the 5R on Packet and it works!

Both use a BASS ACKWARDS SMA connector for some silly reason!
  5. N7GH

N7GH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I missed it was the 5R--I saw the pic and didn't read the title well.
  6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

They seem to have fixed the vol control on the mark 2, mine works properly. And the audio is the loudest and clearest of any of my many HTs.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  7. K4AX

K4AX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hams are the only ones using rigs with female SMA connections, commercial rigs using male connections. I don't even know why there is a difference for why the "big three" chose different connections for amateur radio HTs.

Have you noticed the Uv5r's receiver is off? On 2m it's down 2khz best I can tell. I've two of them now, both have the same issue.

8. AB5N

AB5N Ham Member QRZ Page

9. K3NXU

K3NXU Ham Member QRZ Page

UV5R - Drivers / Software / CHIRP

UV5R Quick Reference/Software Drivers/CHIRP.

I've had mine for 2 weeks and love it.

John k3nxu
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
  10. K3NXU

K3NXU Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a great little HT. I have one and I love it.
    BTW: You can order it directly for $48.50 which includes a drop in charger and free shipping.
    See the links in

John K3NXU
  11. DV2SOL

DV2SOL Guest

i have one. very nice ht
  12. W8EDV

W8EDV Ham Member QRZ Page

I also have a UV 5R and it's a great little radio. Mine measures out 5 watts VHF 4 watts UHF on a Bird Watt meter.. Some say it's a 4 watt radio, but I'm seeing 5 watts hi 1 watt low on the VHF side. The battery lasts a long time and the radio has a very good receiver on it also. For $52.90 delivered to my door it's a steal... You can also toggle between lo and hi power if you're in the memory channel mode on the fly by pressing the # key at bottom right on the key pad. So if you have a memory channel programmed in at High power and find that you can get in nicely on Low power just press the # key and a small " L " will show up on your display. It is only valid until you change frequency's then it goes back to whatever your memory is set at. There are a few web pages that show some tips and tricks for the UV 5R that can be helpful as well as a lot of Youtube videos on this radio now.

13. K7POC

K7POC Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought one from 409 radio shop a few months ago. I've used it a lot. Pretty impressive for $50bucks!
    1. cheap
    2. small radio built in
    4. spare batteries are dirt cheap
    5. TX audio is pretty good.
    6.Open for "emergency" FRS, GMRS and MURS use.
    7. Battery life is pretty good.
    1. stock antenna is junk or at least mine is.
    2.Fm radio stopped working after a couple weeks
    3. Screen contrast increases when radio gets hot. To the point where you can't read it.
    4. RX quality is not that great. Especially with FM broadcast radio. Puxing 777/888's are way better in the RX department. But they cost a lot more too!
    5. Kind of a pain to program.

Overall it's a neat little toy for thous close to repeaters or looking for a expendable rig. It's a good kick around radio/backup. However it dose not hold a candle to my Icom V82 that I use for events. Turning my v82 down to 4w with the stock antenna it outperforms the 5r on TX and RX by miles. Still I must admit I usually just pack around my little 5r wile in the outdoors and around town. At $50 bucks it's not a big loss if it gets lost or broken.
  14. M3ONL

M3ONL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is there any difference in size between the uv3r and uv5r..??
  15. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't know where they measure, but manuals say 3R 81mm, 5R 110mm. Need room for the keypad.

Measured my 3R, seems to measure the main case not including the knob.

My 3R gets lost in my shirt pocket, think the 5R would also.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  16. KK4BBG

KK4BBG Ham Member QRZ Page

the uv 5r is slightly smaller than an wouxun radio.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.