Baofeng Predictions?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD8DEY, Jul 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Becaue many, if not most, other people have problems with bad receiver performance.
    Maybe Baofeng's quality control is such that most radios are bad but some are good.
    Maybe you have a magical good unit.
    Maybe Baofeng receivers are only susceptible to interference from certain frequencies that aren't used in your area or aren't strong enough to cause interference.
    Maybe your radio is just as bad as other peoples' but you don't have experience level or knowledge to be able to tell the difference. Have you used other hand held radios in the same area over several years?

W4NNF likes this.
  2. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used several icom and yeasu units. They seemed to be just about as solid in construction and they transmitted and received just the same. I've used my baofeng in many areas stretching from san diego to phoenix, all the way to where I am now. No overloading, even in metropolitan cities. I've used my baofeng in the vicinity of dozens of other ht's being used and my ability to hear and get out was the same as theirs for the same type of antennas.

One interesting situation was when I was with the club doing a special event and a gentleman using a yaesu (of which model I have forgotten), who WAS having overloading problems while I was standing next to him and having none. My antenna was the Diamond SRJ77CA, while his was the stock rubber duck for that particular radio. We were literally a couple feet apart, and he had to listen to my radio to get the message.

At that same event, I learned that particular model of yaesu can't transmit full power when using it's specific AA battery adapter. Which means it's useless to me.

I have also on many occasions asked for a signal quality report from folks, and asked them to guess what radio I was using. Only one guessed right, and he knew me personally. Most people said something along the lines of "IDK but it sounds just fine. What is it?". When I tell people that it's a baofeng and THEN ask for the quality report, most people automatically say "Yuck. Baofeng. Bad. Horrible. Sinner repent." and such.

WA4BCS likes this.
  3. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that we've had 9 pages of "Baofeng is junk" - my prediction is they will realize American Hams want a cheap 900mhz and 1200mhz radio. That will be the new dual-band HT around $50.

WU8Y and WQ4G like this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I predict I still won't have a Beofeng (sp) but not for the reasons commonly given.

5. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Even if I got a crate of FREE 900MHz or 1200Mhz radios, besides for talking to myself I have no idea what I would do with them :rolleyes:

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Now THAT is an interesting prospect!:cool:

7. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear that it's O.K. to talk to yourself as long as you don't answer back...

8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

But you yourself provide some of the best answers!

9. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

Give a few away to other hams in the area?
    I'm sure there are plenty of hams that want to experiment on 33cm, but don't want to pay $100+ for a used radio, then need to modify it, and also spent hundreds more on the programming software.

I bet the AO-92 users would hate everyone having the option to join in on 23cm up link nights. (Not that I'd blame them, it's the only time anyone can actually have a QSO on there)

WQ4G likes this.
  10. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I know Nothing

KA9JLM likes this.