ad: M2Ant-1

Baofeng Predictions?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD8DEY, Jul 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4EGE

W4EGE Ham Member QRZ Page

A comment. There are a few fusion repeaters in FM16UV. When those are activated, I can pick them up way way way further than if activated in analog mode. That narrow 12.5 kHz error corrected signal seems to have a better punch in many situations. My node is a good example of that too. It puts out only 20mW...but with the right antenna Is can be used a mile away.

I agree with you, many function with analog just fine. However, I think there is some application of digital that goes unlooked. Getting mobile range with a 5w HT is possible since digital was added. It’s not like the mode is useless.

As for SSB...that was a question about the THD74’s Rx range. Using it as a spare ear could be handy.

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

For most of us, however,

I'm NOT saying digital is useless; not by long shot, but it IS for those that WANT (or somehow have a need for) it. For the rest (I believe vast majority?) of us, analog is "good enough."

And just to comment, it's not as if our VHF/UHF bands are all THAT crowded? If "paper only" or unused repeaters were eliminated, would ANYONE even notice a difference, other than many other frequencies being available?:confused:

WD4IGX, WQ4G, W0FS and 1 other person like this.
  3. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Baofeng Prediction?
    Pain!
    :p

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Question, For owners of a good watt meter and good 50 Ohm dummy load.

Has anyone seen a Baofeng put out the amount of power that they say it should ?

Most of the ones that I have tested put more power out when out of the ham band, But still no cigar.

I was a sucker and bought 5 different models just for test. But I did learn that the UHF only radios can be used on 144 Mhz and above.

I would not be surprised if the VHF models could transmit on 88-108 Mhz. I have never tested that.

5. WA9SVD

WHY would I even TRY???:confused:

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just for grins. :D

7. WA9SVD

Obviously, we have different ideas of what "just for grins" means. YMMV.

8. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

Why does everyone keep saying that? I use my baofeng exclusively on an external antenna unless I'm walking around with it, and it never has any problems. I've gotten into repeaters hundreds of miles away on good propagation days, using a slimjim duct taped to a pvc pipe leaning against a trailer.

It's easy to take two baofengs, plug the inputs into the outputs, and leave them at the top of a local hill. Instant repeater. Instructions on youtube.

They have impressed me. Mine has been dropped, kicked, thrown out of car windows, flung through the air, and whipped like it owes me money. Still works perfectly fine.

My baofeng purchased in 2014 (my first ever ham radio) also passes spectral purity tests.

WU6P and KV6O like this.
  9. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

They will take over Flex so everyone can have an SDR for under $500. :cool:

WQ4G likes this.
  10. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Baofengs cost barely more than a Pitcher of Beer!!! I was looking at one on Ebay last night to get one for my Grandson, should he pass his test. I probably would get 2 so he can talk to his Dad on it. His Dad plays COMMANDO with his buddies and they use Baofengs (on unknown Frequencies) for their comms. Not exactly FCC legal, but they are way out in the sticks and not worried about interfering with anyone. Simplex only. Probably outside the Ham Bands as Hams are very Protective of their frequencies. I have reccomended against that, but then my word is only a reccomendation.

The Baofeng I was looking at was $20 from Stateside!