Baofeng Predictions?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD8DEY, Jul 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably because the good buddies wouldn't understand what they're for or how to use them properly.
    /s ;)

2. WA1UIL

WA1UIL Ham Member QRZ Page

My prediction on Baofeng is they will ride the cheap HT market till the jackass drops dead. Then move on to something else that makes big $$$ for them.
    The really sad part is China (and India) make most of the blood pressure meds (and others) used here in the US.
    Check your bottles and see.
    Every time I take my BP med I think about the Southern states that had Chinese sheet rock installed in their new homes only to find that anything made of copper was disintegrating.
    Is it Losartan?? or sheet rock powder?? The Nightly News recently had a piece on blue dogs running wild in India and no one knows why.
    What color is a 50Mg Losartan pill ??
    just my $.02

WQ4G likes this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Because there are still lots of analog repeaters, and hams keep buying analog radios even if there's seldom much traffic on those repeaters.

More than a few older hams have a fear of anything "digital." :(

4. W4EGE

W4EGE Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you know if your (mine) FT2D is a bad receiver? With the ducky I’d agree...but add a diamond SHR77 and that radio can pull in what it needs. AM Rx is bad...but again...it’s not a kenwood.

5. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you think analog is bad... they are now invading DMR and they splatter on both timeslots.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

6. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe the newer BF DMR radios are TierII compliant, the earlier ones were not and many repeaters banned them.
    There are actually some very good Chinese DMR radios but I wouldn't put the BF's on that list.

7. KG2C

KG2C Ham Member QRZ Page

I have compared it on receive with my Baofeng, TYT MD380, Kenwood TH-D74, Wouxun KG-UV9D+, ICOM 7100, and SDRPlay RSP1A. All using my Arrow II antenna listening to satellites. When I TX with another radio the FT2D desenses almost as bad as the Baofeng and needs additional filtering to work well.
    It also doesn't pick up the satellites as well as the others listed (except the Baofeng which it is on par with) when there is another strong signal on a different frequency on the band.
    I blame the open barn door receiver for this as adding filtering fixes these issues. Note that I am in a noisy RF location (one of the tallest hills in Queens NY near NYC). If you are in a quieter location you will probably not be as affected by this. All of these radios are fine with stronger signals like FM repeaters.
    I regularly use my Baofeng to scan and listen to my local repeaters.

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It may well be that most of us are satisfied with analog, and/or don't need digital communications. GOOD GRIEF! We are talking about a HAND-HELD device. I (and many others) see no reason to spend a few extra $$$ for a digital H-T when we don't want or need it! YMMV.

WD4IGX, WQ4G and W0FS like this.
  9. W4EGE

W4EGE Ham Member QRZ Page

Barn door in what sense? In that Yaesu allows RX from a large range or that the large range is only AM and FM (and fusion)? Can the D74 pick up 2m SSB?

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

With all due respect, I see LITTLE use of 2M SSB on a H-T. 6M SSB is mostly weak signal, and FAR out of the range of any H-T, regardless of the antenna to which it is attached. Your next door neighbor, or the ham down the street, maybe... otherwise, mostly useless.

WQ4G likes this.