ad: elecraft

Baofeng Predictions?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD8DEY, Jul 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an outdoor Diamond X-300 that I sometimes connect a newer Baofeng to with no issues. On either band. This is in a Philly suburb with plenty of repeaters around and moderate traffic.
    I'm on a hill with a reasonably good path down through Philly and also into New Jersey. Standing in my bedroom window with a Nagoya antenna I can hit most of the Philly repeaters.
    On the Diamond antenna I can hear traffic on repeaters as far north as NYC area and SW to Lancaster.
    Selectivity is probably not as good as the big three (I've got 4 of them). I haven't tested. But it doesn't seem as good. I have one repeater about two miles from me and haven't noticed any issues with it causing receiver issues while I'm on another freq.
    I have tested sensitivity in a lab and it's only a dB less sensitive then my Kenwood.

2. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Fantastic!!! That's what gives ham radio a good name.
    Thank you for being there for him.
    John
    K4AGO

K3KIC likes this.
  3. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I predict that hams on Teh Zed will never learn how to spell Baofeng, and instead will use cutesy insulting terms like "bo-funk."

KK6NOH likes this.
  4. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Harbor Freight - famous outpost of Chinese crap - has expanded out into higher grades of tools. You frequently get a good-better-best choice, which is probably more like "will work a few times", "almost as good as a real tool", and "might actually be decent".
    I would guess Baofeng will evolve into $30, $60, and $120 radios and if they ever hire an American engineer for ergonomics and add a squelch knob* the big players had better watch out!

* I utterly loath menu driven squelch and my UV-5R is really bad. Most frequencies it can be set on 2 or 3 and on a few even the highest setting doesn't keep it from breaking squelch with no signal :mad:

5. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

*deleted*

6. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

You can change the squelch levels for each squelch menu setting.

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If the foo spits... ;)

8. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

The gentleman liked to rag chew and I got to have some great discussions with him from time to time. He was a sailor on the USS Texas in the 1930s. He was famous for timing out repeaters but I enjoyed getting to know him. He had been an amateur pioneer of sorts being one of the founding members of a local club in the early 50s.

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

They will, ALSO not learn how to spell what is suspected to be "THE," but continue to spell "TEH.":(:mad::rolleyes:

Just like they can't understand that the contraction of "et cetera" is "ETC.", and not ECT. Or are they now knowledgeable to know? I have a voluminous Latin-English dictionary, but I have not been able to find "ECT" anywhere.:rolleyes:

W4NNF likes this.
  10. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Baofeng--and all the other brands that make the same radios--are going nowhere. And by that I mean, they are here to stay for a while.

I work on a campus where 47 radios are deployed on a Business Frequency License. We conducted a test before we went fully live. 10 Retevis channelized (computer programmable) UHF Part 90 certified radios were in the hands of preschool teachers for two months. When they didn't fall apart, we bought 50 more. That was one year ago. All radios are carried all day, five days a week by preschool teachers--they are definitely getting abuse.

I have replaced a total of 5 rubber ducks and two batteries.

Bought 10 at a time, the radios are $10/piece. That is 35 radios for cost of one Motorola that would serve the same purpose. Really, a lot more if you factor in the cost of the software the Motorolas.

Amateurs can use them, hate on them, whatever. It really does not matter to the business model.