ad: AbAuRe-1

Baofeng Predictions?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD8DEY, Jul 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Plenty of 2M analog FM activity in the Austin area. There is a group on 94 for the morning commute. Talk at Three on the Bastrop county club machine always draws a crowd. Just to name a couple.

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It is not just the Baofeng, and other Chinese handheld units, that are the problem. The truth be known, a handheld unit, no matter what the manufacturer, is a very poor choice as the first unit a newcomer should own. The "shack on the hip" may be attractive to a number of amateur radio operators. Unfortunately, all of the handheld units just do not have the performance capabilities to provide adequate communications under a wide range of conditions.

Basically, the transmitter power output is low, the antennas furnished with most handheld units have poor efficiency, and most of the receivers severely overload when connected to a decent antenna. Therefore, a great number of newcomers rapidly become disillusioned in a very short period of time when all the equipment that they have is a handheld unit.

Handheld units have a place in the amateur radio arena. But, those involve specific applications where long range communications are not needed. Otherwise, other equipment is needed to fulfill the application.

Glen, K9STH

AI3V, W4NNF and WD4IGX like this.
  3. KG2C

KG2C Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to say my Baofeng UV5R V2+ is one of my favorite HTs that I've owned. I've had it for 4 years and here's what I think.

Pros:
    The battery works great and for longer than I've ever needed on a single trip
    I've never had to worry about dropping it
    There's no expensive screen or keypad to worry about damaging
    Comes with a lot of accessories included and getting the rest is cheap (typical of Chinese HTs, unheard of for Japanese HTs)
    Everyone has one and everyone knows how to (sort of) use it
    Great and free software for programming them (CHIRP)

Cons
    The receiver is as bad as my Yaesu FT2D but in the case of the Baofeng I can forgive it because it is cheap
    Some models have more spurious emissions than others but perhaps the trend is improving
    UI is tedious to do anything complicated like programming it
    No extra functions like APRS, TNC, Bluetooth, audio recorder, additional RX bands, full-duplex, dual receive, digital modes
    Cannot be used while charging (at least the model I have)
    It's not a Kenwood TH-D74

WU6P likes this.
  4. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, the included antenna is a feature and not a bug. It seems to have just the right amount of attenuation, and it seems to receive quite well with it attached. But if you hook it to something as innocuous as a quarter wave vertical, the receiver desenses to the point of being completely deaf.

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's a midpoint. A replacement antenna for the HT like a Nagoya can definitely improve performance. An external antenna? Yeah, forget it. ;)

6. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

The short Nagoya antenna overloads the receivers on my UV-5R and UV-82. I can only imagine that the long one would be worse.
    The stock thin (non-helical) antenna that came with my UV-82 was the same way.
    The stock thin (non-helical) antenna that came with my Wouxun KG-UV2D doesn't kill the receiver on either radio.
    The short thicker center-tapped helical antenna that came with my UV-5R doesn't kill the receiver on either radio.
    Maybe good antennas only work on these radios if you are in an RF-free environment.

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not on my UV5R. Much better than the stock antenna which seemed to be little more than a dummy load. ;)

I was downtown in a city of 300,000, so it wasn't a pristine environment.

8. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Never mind. ;)

WZ7U likes this.
  9. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The longer Nagoya antenna does not overload my UV-5RE+, UV-5RIII, or my UV-82 2-meter / 1.25-meter handheld. However, I have not really tried a decent antenna on any of these units.

The K5RWK repeater is located less than a mile from my house and there is no sign of overload from that repeater. That repeater is on the 2-meter band. There are also a couple of 70 cm repeaters that are within a mile of my house and no sign of overload with either of those repeaters. I haven't been near downtown Dallas with any of the handheld units although there are several commercial two-way community towers within about a 2-mile radius and no problems from those installations as well.

Now, if I were to connect any of the handhelds to my stacked 11-element Yagis, vertically polarized, 67-feet above ground, and fed with 1/2-inch Heliax, I suspect that there would be all sorts of overload.

Glen, K9STH

WU6P and W4NNF like this.
  10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, That is the key.

I found the same to be true.

There is zero front end filtering in most of these radios, Because they work DC to Daylight. (if you include the flashlight) :rolleyes: