Baofeng Predictions?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD8DEY, Jul 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Better get used to your Chinese overlords providing your radio gear. It's not like this whole country hasn't already sold its soul for a cheap widget. We get what we deserve in this regard.

Booming economy my ass; booming for who exactly?

WQ4G, VK4HAT, KK5JY and 1 other person like this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Who knows? Stranger things have happened. I think, however, it's more likely that some goobers got the government's attention by playing on public service frequencies.

As for the Bo-funk's in general? Yes, I understand that some novices are strapped for cash. BUT...Yaesu will sell you a decent HT for 150 bucks, less than the average young person thinks nothing of spending on an X-box or PlayStation, and considerably less than what an older novice doesn't blink about spending for similarly ephemeral things.

3. KC3EPA

KC3EPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Baofeng should be able to clean up their act if Amateur Radio was their only market.
    Preppers buy them in case the world is ending and there may be more preppers than hams.
    Preppers do not just shelter they use para military theme for crowd control.

I think they also cover the marine band in case you have a small boat.
    I think they go FRS and GMRS.

I know quite a few hunters that use the Baofeng.
    I doubt the FCC wants to go into the woods with armed hunters to give a ticket.

They probably coulc modify them for just ham if the dollars are there.
    If they did they could they could be DMR also.
    They could do it in the 50 dollar range maybe.
    They are manufacturing at slave labor rates of about 74 cents per hour with long hours and no benefits.

I do not know but something tells me fusion may be open source and the big three only cares about their digital modes.

Yes the big 3 have a lot to be worried about.
    I am sure they are lobbying and do have more pull with FCC than one would think.

4. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Baofeng. It works and it i cheap, but I find it not very enjoyable to use. It would put me off radio if I thought they all were like that.

5. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You mean that 1 guy complaining on facebook about some other guy kerchunking the repeater ever 10mins without identifying is going to have something different to complain about HAHAHAHAHA. If the repeater did not Ident every 30mins, i doubt anyone would know it was even there LOL

6. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Earlier Baofengs that I've tested did not meet FCC regulations. Those four I referenced that passed were all purchased since spring of 2018.

Three different models but can't say all models now meet FCC or that all radios of a given model do. But in general I believe there has been improvement.

7. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Billionaires

KE8IWM, WZ7U and WQ4G like this.
  8. W4NNF

Fusion is not open source.

If the big three only care about digital why are they producing scads of analog only HTs?

The reason for the FCC's concern wasn't the complaints of Japanese manufacturers. It was because of pinheads running around in the woods and elsewhere chatting on public service frequencies.

AR ;)

9. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have spent the last 10 days digging through my "Give a Dern" bucket...and frankly, I couldn't care less about Baofeng than I do right now.

BTW...preppers that are counting on the Baofengs to save them are in for a huge surprise...

W4NNF likes this.
  10. W4NNF

I've got a couple of the silly little bo-funks here--who doesn't? They do work, but that is it. Frankly I can't think of a worse way to start a novice in radio than with one of them. In most areas there's precious little activity on the analog repeaters day to day, and the Bo-funk is going to have a hard time hitting many them even with a better antenna (forget a decent outside antenna, the Bo-funk's front end will cry for mercy). With digital HTs available for around 100 bucks or less, if the novice has to have an HT, let it be one of them. A DMR/Fusion/D-Star radio and a hotspot can provide a new ham with a lot of fun.

As for the preppers? Leaving aside my skepticism about their forecasts of DOOM and holocaust, I can't think of a poorer radio for them than one of these. Not only are they going to be severely limited in range with no repeaters, they have not impressed me with their "reliability."

If someone wants to buy one, however, that's fine. I do understand the more recent models have cleaned up their act as far as spectral purity. I wouldn't know. Mine just sit on the shelf, and I have not been able to work up the will to test them. :D