Baofeng Predictions?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD8DEY, Jul 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. But if you go upstate very little activity on repeaters. Some clubs down to half a dozen active members! I'm on a hill outside Philly so I can hit repeaters in NYC area. There seems to be fair activity in north Jersey/NYC as well.

2. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

About 1 day after they release that new software, someone will crack it. And I'll be cheering for them.

AI3V likes this.
  3. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I predict in 5 years time when ham radio had died again, the hobby will stop being known as the amateur radio service and will hence forth be known as the Baofeng Radio Domination. BRD for short. HF will be repossessed by the ITU, IARU and FCC and sold to some holding Corporation in the Caymans for a can of beans and the only radio anyone can use is the Baofeng. General and Extra will downgrade their licenses to Tech to discover new found privileges, like Prepping and other delusional activities like wearing HiVis vests and walking around with a Baofeng on a belt clip. Ham fests will be all about Ham and maybe a little bacon. And finally everyone will get back to doing the entire point of ham radio and that is talking to some guy you dont like who lives two streets away, using the local repeater. Hams will no longer be fat because they will discover things like walking and salad. Diabetes, heart disease and bowel cancer will all be cured thanks to the miracle of salad and exercise.

And now I am going back to the bottle of Pinot Gris on the kitchen table ;)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    WQ4G, WZ7U, M7ROK and 2 others like this.
  4. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well if the french have their way....

NL7W likes this.
  5. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Which one of you is wrong?

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

They transmit and receive garbage.

You can not use two in the same room.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    VK4HAT likes this.
  7. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Many years past a country produced drill bits unusable to put additional holes in Swiss cheese.
    Did not sell too many till QUALITY improved.
    Then there was an "automobile " with initials "Y"...
    Consumers and Superman both are more powerful than locomotive and can outmaneuver any governmental regulatory agency.

Smart manufacturer, who wants to stay in business, knows that!

HAKUNA MATATA!

73 Shirley

8. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have 3-different models of the Baofeng handheld units and all of them meet the technical requirements of 47 CFR Part 97. Like all the "DC to light" receivers, the receivers definitely tend to overload especially when connected to a decent (non "rubber ducky") antenna. However, this is the same with most of the amateur radio handheld units no matter which company made them.

I have verified the spurious emissions with a spectrum analyzer. Some are worse than others. But, they all meet the requirements.

Glen, K9STH

KU5Q, KV6O and NL7W like this.
  9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

upload_2019-7-13_12-16-0.jpeg

WE4E, WZ7U and KJ4VTH like this.
  10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ironically, making them compliant with the new requirements may make interference with amateur radio MORE likely. As it is now, some kid buying one of these can transmit anywhere over a pretty vast stretch of spectrum. So if they are playing around or getting up to no good they can do it anywhere and only might be in the ham bands. But if they can ONLY transmit in the ham bands, then that's where they will transmit. Of course this is better than interfering with public service, but it's still no good for us.

The real issue with unlicensed people mucking around with repeaters and other amateur operations is simply that massive outlets like Amazon will sell these to any unlicensed person for thirty bucks or whatever. That won't be changed by the new requirements.