ad: ARR

Baofeng Predictions?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD8DEY, Jul 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

5Y:

I cannot remember just which handheld units made by other companies that also have the "roger beep" function. However, I agree that such needs to be turned off for a number of reasons.

KIC:

Many people do not know the correct way to use any microphone, not just those in handheld units.

One needs to speak ACROSS the microphone and not directly into the microphone. Motorola used to, may still do, have a little pamphlet with every new microphone and handheld unit instructing the user to talk across the microphone and not into the microphone.

When someone speaks directly into a microphone, there often is distortion caused by the airflow from the mouth ("breath noise") and that makes understanding the transmission difficult. Also, too many have seen movies and television shows where the microphone is held several inches from the face. The microphones made for voice communications are designed for close speaking, not several inches away.

Glen, K9STH

2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Assuming the amateur is decent... :rolleyes:

3. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Often, or sometimes Malyasia, at least for some other consumer electronics. But Japanese companies with Chinese manufacturing do tend to hold the products to Japanese standards of QC. (Which the Chinese are quite capable of, just not at the price of the less quality controlled Chinese merchandise.)

K3KIC likes this.
  4. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

B
    Bingo... The Chinese can manufacture at any quality level from cheap crap grade to swiss watch level... but all at a price point. One of the big differences is in the cost of QC (reject rate). So when you see a comparable product at a much lower price, you know that QC is one of the areas skimped on .

WU8Y and WD4IGX like this.
  5. YD2UBR

YD2UBR Ham Member QRZ Page

that's right, I use baofeng bf 888s, even though the price is very cheap, which I used to think to buy handy talky would be very difficult, but in the presence of baofeng all so it was possible, thank you baofeng

6. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

The key word tend. Not so much the companies I work with. Then again someone has to be last in their graduating class. For those Japanese companies that don't "tend" the combination of Japanese engineering and Chinese manufacturing can be the worst of both worlds. Incapable of matching even a Baofeng in design and manufacturing quality.

Many Chinese companies are looking to move to lower cost of labor areas. Vietnam likely to be the next hot spot. I have no experience with Vietnamese manufacturing but I've worked with some top notch Vietnamese engineers.

7. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

This is exactly true; I've seen it in my professional battery work. The key is specifying ahead of time what quality level you expect!

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the 888. I have many of them. It is a great UHF radio for the price.

They work on VHF also. :)

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

In SOME cases, that is an "oxymoron.":(:mad::rolleyes: