Bands open/closed?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G8LXI, Jul 9, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep.

Some say there is a correlation between thunderstorms and Sporadic E.

One might in fact cause the other, but then, there might be something else causing both!

Sporadic E is not wrll understood at all.

2. K5BIZ

K5BIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi K5BIZ here. I wrote bandconditions.com 3 years ago because there was simply no other 100% accurate propagation tool on the internet. It runs on it's own. I don't have anything to do with it other than sticking my nose into the closet to make sure Windows hasn't crash. It's a computer and like any computer system you should always take what it says with a grain of salt.

Propagation websites, beacon stations, WWV and tossed Chicken Bones will always be as good as the next roll of the dice which is what a CQ call really is. But you can't work them if you can't call them.

The only real way to know if your signal getting thru is to be there to receive it. So in addition to all the tools above - why not try http://websdr.org/ to get a remote control receiver and see how good your signal sounds at the other end?

Just another tool no one has mentioned so far.

WB9MCW and K5URU like this.
  3. G6BOP

G6BOP Ham Member QRZ Page

I have listened all over the six meter band since January ( when I got my FT450D) but I have NEVER heard anyone on the frequency, either my radio is deaf of no one seems to be using it ?, what is the best frequency to listen on, is there any calling channel on 6 ?

4. G6BOP

G6BOP Ham Member QRZ Page

That's not a bad idea, my local SDR is "hackgreen" the UK secret nuclear bunker, I have loaded hat onto the laptop and will watch for my "waterfall" !

5. KO4LZ

KO4LZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I work mostly digital modes (JT65) on 6 meters, so there's really only one frequency to watch (50.276 MHz). :) The band seems to have some sporadic openings today -- worked a couple of eastern VEs and someone in ME from NC.

There was a huge band opening (for me, anyway) about a month ago -- worked a few people in CA from NC (!!!) on 6 meters, but since then it's been kinda dead for me in "4 land".

But I know what you mean -- there are some days when six meters is so completely lifeless that I check my connectors and resweep the antenna :)

6. KD4AYU

KD4AYU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As far as being 40, I am in the vast majority pushing 70 hard. I find that I have plenty of time for JT65 HF. If you're just starting out on a DXCC at 40 then it might be a little slow for you, but with a couple of decades worth of SSB, CW, and conventional Digimode contacts it becomes just another although impressive tool to make contacts when nothing else does.

K1RR and KO4LZ like this.
  7. KO4LZ

If you operate JT65, you definitely should check out http://hamspots.net : I can call CQ and within a few minutes I can see where my signal was received and with what strength. If I see that people in Europe, Asia, South America, etc. are reading me with decent signal levels, then I know that the band is open I'm simply being ignored :)

8. KO4LZ

I worked WAS 100% on JT65 in less than 6 months casually operating with an attic dipole at the current "suboptimal" point in the solar cycle. If it weren't for HI (thanks WH6HI!), I would probably have done it in half that time :)

I'm currently trying to work DXCC and VUCC both 100% JT65 as well. Am most of the way there with DXCC, but I get the feeling it may take a while on 6 meters ....

9. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm curious when it says a band condition is POOR, if that is a function of where you are rather than just the band itself. Is it 'poor' for the location of the measurement station? Is it poor for the average worldwide condition? Not sure how some of that atmospheric stuff is measured (and I am not really that interested), but I could guess that the magnetic stuff, the atmospheric stuff, etc., might vary depending on where you are in the world.

Yeah, 12m is dead until I find that it isn't. If we just glance over and see 30-10 is dead, do we all not even try? It does seem so! Days when 10m was supposedly 'dead' it was a straight pipeline to Brazil from the Pacific Northwest, so I dunno.

The DX Commander freeware that updates with the latest sunspot stuff and shows the LUF/MUF, etc., seems to be pretty accurate provided that you give good/accurate inputs (takeoff angle, local noise conditions) which are just a rough guess for most people. But outputs are only as good as inputs, and knowing vs guessing is a huge challenge.

10. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

PSKreporter.info is pretty neat too. Though the hamspots one more often gives the signal reports--some of the PSKreporter ones do too. Depends if they have their JT65 software 'box checked' if they are using WSJT-X or one of the clones, or some other software.