ad: w5yi

Bands open/closed?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G8LXI, Jul 9, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

A band is truly dead when no one is on it. Unless one is lucky enough to hear some LDE.

2. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

K1RR likes this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Ham Member QRZ Page

Get on the air and call CQ, you never know who will come back to you!

K5JEF likes this.
  4. KC5NOA

KC5NOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Been a ham for 21 years and I never listen to the so called experts! I find a nice quiet spot and call cq for 45 seconds to one minute wait and do it again. I have worked many Europeans on 20 using that method

WA7PRC likes this.
  5. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like to tune the "dead" bands. Worked the Cook Islands last week on 15M with 100 watts and a ground mounted vertical. He was calling CQ and no one was coming back to him. Signals were not strong and I never would have made the QSO if there was a pileup.

6. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I do a combination of 3 things , not aways in this order , but most of the time 1st turn the radio on ;)
    Then while spinning the VFO , from one band to the next , I will use one of the spotting app's on my phone and slow down when near a reported spot .
    Thats 2 , so the 3rd is some nets I've used a lot in the past , as far as I know the OMISS net works the best , because they use most of the bands on SSB at different times and knowing many of the regulars , I know what to expect in there signal & location , to judge there propagation .
    One of the worst in the last 10 yrs. was on 20m yesterday , listened for about 10 min. only a couple of very week stations .
    I causally hunt & pounce DX these days , but have wondered if there was a work all DX nets , I would use those to help get a feel of propagation , then see what I could find on my own .
    Then there is contests / special events , I've alway joked that they seem to make there own propagation - but that is were just get on with calling , just do it .
    Any way you can find fun on ham radio , just do it ;)

7. 2M1VFO

2M1VFO Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you may well be right Len. Today the conditions haven't indicated to be very good at all, but in reality the bands have been great.

8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

20m is hot right now. The IARU HF Championship contest might have something to do with that. ;)

9. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow that is a pretty cool site and mega simple to follow.

10. K5BIZ

K5BIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

We use –107 dBm (1uV) and –73 dBM (50 uV) as a starting point and assume a receiver has AGC headroom of about 20 dB. (Modern receiver AGC circuits are actually much better but we assume QRP designs with simpler circuits). Below –107 dBm (1uV) the band is considered dead. Above –107 dBm (1uV) and below –73 dBM (50 uV) is the amp needed range and above –73 dBM (50 uV) is the band open range.

But these are just starting points. Each band is different. QSB and QRN levels change on each band depending on time of day and seasons. This is where 50 years of experience in radio comes into play. Each band is carefully adjusted to take into account all these variations.

Please remember three things.

First the standard is 1 watt - Dipole - 25 feet high. If your station setup is better than this, then things for you are slightly better than the website indicates. If your running 2 kw and Yagi’s then things are a lot better for you.

Second – The 100 band index point is when a 1 watt station sounds exactly the same as a 100 watt station. The band might and often does get better than this point but it’s not shown past the 100. From a QRP’ers point of view, once you hit this point, anything above doesn’t matter.

Third – I built this thing for me. I use it every day. My time is valuable to me and I really don’t want to spend it flogging a dead horse calling CQ on a dead band. If this info is useful to you, then I’m more than happy to share it and save both of use some time.

.. or you can flog that dead horse until you burn out your finals ... Icom, Kenwood and Yeasu are always happy to sell you another radio.

K5BIZ

WB9MCW likes this.