Band conditions

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5GI, Jul 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, like flying bullets.:eek:

2. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Lots of good replies/advice here. Let's face it, band condx have gone up and down forever, and will continue to do so forever. Part of the charm of the hobby is dealing with that: if you can adapt, improvise, overcome and all the rest of that, anything is possible. Sometimes all it takes is careful listening, through the filter of the human brain, which I have always found much more capable than any digital DSP gazebo nonsense. :)

There was a time, back in about the 1950s , when just about any contact was possible. It was a kind of golden era. Things are not so great currently, but if you think about it, that makes it more interesting. Something easily obtained is ultimately less valuable than something requiring effort.

I can recall in about 1966, as a Novice living in central Florida, one night working another Novice in Hawaii. It was a 20 watt homebrew xmitter, a cheap Heathkit receiver, and a dipole strung across the roof of the house. What an incredible thrill it was. It took several tries, but we managed to exchange mailing addresses via CW and sent each other the beloved QSL card. It remains to this day, over 50 years later, my most memorable QSO.

Don't sweat it. Try harder, you will find it ultimately more rewarding. :)

W5BIB and N1VAU like this.
  3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ya just never know...

Yesterday evening I had been on 10106 CW clg CQ with no responses. After a few stateside spots on the RBN, & no contacts, I turned the gain down to a low level & was doing some stuff on the internet.

At 19/0338z, I hear someone calling CQ right there on 10106, hmmm, I'll listen & see who it is.

Holy Crap !... It's 4X4WN / David in SHORESH, ISRAEL :eek: - I called him, he heard me & gave me a 559 (He was 579). We had a short 5 minute chat.
    He was running 500w & a 8 element LP, I was using my Tentec Century-22 (15watts) into a 40m OCF horizontal "L" dipole up about 15ft (with a Drake MN-7 tuner)!! - He worked a couple more stateside guys & then after about 15 minutes,... he was GONE ! (just like that, the band was gone again) - MADE MY DAY :D

The band seemed to be gone for good now. I heard a guy on 10110, but, it was a weak stateside station. Again, I left it on 10110 & turned the audio down.

AT 19/0433z (an hour later) LY1G / Stasys in KLAIPEDA, LITHUANIA pops-up blasting thru @ 569 right there on 10110- called him ONE time, got a 539. - He too worked a couple of other stateside guys & was GONE in about 10 minutes.

I heard SM4DDE @ about 0445z on 10105, but, NO luck. :(

patience, patience, patience
    listen, listen, listen and then,... listen some more
    Right place,... Right time ;)

The VOACAP predictions on DXSummit.fi said that my chances for those two contacts, on 30m @ 03-0500z, was ZERO (NO propagation !!)

Ya Just NEVER Know...

dit dit

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    WZ7U and N1VAU like this.