Balloon HF Signal Questions

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W4KJG, Jun 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been rebuilding my "antenna farm" since moving from our actual farm into town. I began testing and A-B comparisons this weekend using WSPR.

Last night I heard some call signs on 20 meters I wasn't familiar with. One was QB2NTB and the other was QB2FIB. They show up as invalid call signs on QRZ. Their maidenhead put them just north of Burmuda. They showed up on my WSJT-X received signals screen, but not on the M0DXK map on the WSPRnet site. I couldn't find anything related to them doing internet searches.

In searching the internet I somehow found that they were balloons and I read a number of pages about amatuer radio ballooning. Quite interesting.

What I couldn't find was how call signs get assigned. Who assigns them? What country are the QB2 call signs associated with? Why don't they show up as valid call signs?

Thanks,
    Ken

2. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

W4KJG likes this.
  3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Dunno this helps?

https://qrp-labs.com/flights/s4.html

Sounds as though it might have been an s-4 telemetry packet... whatever that is.

W4KJG likes this.
  4. W4KJG

K3U3,
    I thank you for that Wiki link. That is probably the best detailed answer that could possibly come that probably even comes close to answering a question that appears to not have a solid answer.:confused::D

From that Wiki, and what I read last night, it is a lot like what you get with incorrect punctuation or when you see an optical illusion.:eek:

5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

6. W4KJG

W2RE - yes, it all helps. You and have K3UJ have seriously affected my adult ADHD!

I started this thread just before leaving our house in town. I'm out in a very remote area of WV where I have to be standing in just the perfect SOTA spot to receive or send something on my phone.

Last night I read the QRP Labs paper you linked to. I just re-read it and saw the Warning on the cover sheet. I also saw where the author said it was illegal for hams in the UK to do this, but was legal for non-hams!?:confused:

Anyway, I better get to doing what I'm here to do before Sasquatch or a hungry bear decides I should be a snack.

I'll be back in civilization later tonight until tomorrow morning.

It is this kind of stuff we need to be introducing to school and university students.

Thanks again,
    Ken

WR2E likes this.