ad: MyAnt-1

Bad situation

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by K9STH, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
  1. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a bit scary...

The one thing that bothers me is, it's illegal to talk to an unlicensed station.
  3. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

One doesn't have to actually "talk to" a station for threats to be made!

Glen, K9STH
  4. AF6LJ

That's true however the article said someone had talked to him over the air.
  5. AE5DX

AE5DX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

He's not a licensed amateur, he's a **'er

6. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not to mention an (*), as is anyone who talks to an unlicensed operator. As amateurs, we should assume that any kind of on-air response to an improperly identifying signal is positive reinforcement for a Part 97 violation.
  7. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe, the white noise will go away? Great article.
  8. N5TWB

N5TWB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The article says they "met" with Watkins and "visited" him, clearly face-to-face encounters, in January and he launched his over-the-air threats after that. I don't see that article saying that anyone other than the perp did anything over the air.
  9. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Contact over the air wasn't mentioned in the link, but it was specified in the thread Glenn mentioned. It was a boastful troll cammouflaged as a question, which is why the thread was closed.
  10. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

This is Texas...all things are possible.
  11. N5TWB

N5TWB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just did the "Search" and found that thread -- yup, the troll was rightly taken down there. For those formerly in the military, a MIJI report would be all that is necessary while communicating right through the intentional interference without acknowledging it.
  12. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hurrah for the good guys, for once!

For Mr. W.N. this is not a good time in America to be threatening people with guns! I don't think any prosecutor or judge is going to dismiss this lightly.

I wonder if Ms. Laura will take action on a case that is being handed to her tied in a bow?
  13. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Umm, no, that's not how I read it.
    Doesn't say how they "met"... but in the next paragraph...
    Doesn't sound like an "on air" meeting to me.

Of course, I could be wrong.
  14. KD6VM

KD6VM Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a thread about these guys on Topix. 700-800 posts already - mosty by the same participants. Almost makes CB look good.
  15. AF6LJ

Fair enough....
    I stand corrected.
  16. AF6LJ

If this were Oregon in the late sixties early seventies....
    The man in question would have been the victim of a "Hunting Accident"
    No charges would be filed.

Not at all right but effective.
  17. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We had a really bad experience with 'terroristic threats' in Iowa. A neighbor was convicted of it and got a slap on the wrist. To make a long story short, he got out and managed to nearly kill his girlfriend and their little boy, and threatened to kill me and my family. This was a truly bad dude - he was armed to the teeth and had, in fact, shot up a small town one night just for fun. He was a meth head and meth dealer. This was the only time I've ever walked around carrying a gun, but man, I was glad I had it at the time. Fortunately, the cretin offed himself with an overdose soon thereafter. Hallelujah!

But it causes me to worry about the hams in that region of Ohio. You will soon have a well armed loony who hates hams wandering around. It's OK to hope that he's all talk, but I think I'd take some precautions.

Oh, wait a minute - my mistake, this was Texas not Ohio. I imagine there will be no shortage of defensive weapons around.
  18. N5YPJ

N5YPJ QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

No shortage of weapons and in this case the law would likely support someone in fear for their life from this guy.
  19. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

20. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.