ad: elecraft

Bad operating position.

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by G4SKO, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G4SKO

G4SKO XML Subscriber

Is it just me or is there a trend for vertical operating setups? What I mean is, rigs mounted on the shack bench,one above the other. I've been operating radios in one form or another since the sixties and I know for sure that reaching up to a rig on a shelf is not conducive to prolonged operating or tuning. Maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years but it just seems to be an awkward way of laying things out.

Everyone has their own way of operating and don't get me wrong, I'm not deriding peoples preferred methods but If I've spend an arm and a leg on gear I want it to be at my fingertips. Okay seldom used rigs or standby RXs or whatever may well be better off away from the main operating position but from some of the station pics I see I do wonder how long it's possible to tune around before arm/back fatigue sets in.

Just my two cents and maybe I'm just too laid back.

2. M3KXZ

M3KXZ XML Subscriber

I've thought that as well, and wondered if it's people pining for their days in the Navy or Army?

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Premium Subscriber

In some cases (mine for example), it's simply SPACE. I just don't have the
    desk real estate to line 'em all up like an old Collins S-Line advert.

Dave
    W7UUU

4. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Platinum Subscriber

I go vertical, but with those devices I don't use a lot (like Rotator Controller, Power Supplies, Dummy Loads, etc). My rigs are on risers to elevate them 4" (10CM) above the desk and I place useful items down there like keys. The elevation is for ergonomics as I am tall (6'3") and it helps the viewing angle. Space is likely the biggest reason.

5. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member

This has been a long and bitter debate throughout the ages.

In some clubs, the horizontal and vertical people won't even talk to each other.

I can tell a vertical guy just by looking at him. There's always something not quite right about them.

6. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member

I suppose some folks simply don't have the space to do more. As for me I like space (see my qrz bio). My day-to-day rig is at desk level for comfort and I have plenty of space for a key, log book, rig, computer, etc. I used to have my rig up on the higher shelves pictured but I found for day to day stuff it got tiring to have it up there. I do place older rigs or receivers that I don't use as often up there (my desk wraps around) which once I adjust them they sit. I tend to operate CW a lot and I've seen a few setups that the key is right at the edge of one of these vertical setups with nothing to support your arm as you operate. If I had similar space limitations I would at least try to add some sort of slide out desk so that I can rest the key, my arm and maybe a log book to make operating to make operating more comfortable. Everyone has their own needs or thoughts on how to setup their operating position.

7. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber

shifty, aren't they? LOL

8. G4SKO

G4SKO XML Subscriber

Hihi, Yep! usually have unfeasibly long arms.

9. M3KXZ

M3KXZ XML Subscriber

And a weird crick in the neck with half a dozen chins to hold the head up :)

10. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member

I'm also space challenged and I've arranged my operating position on an old corner computer desk. The main HF rig sits on the desk where it can be easily tuned and the antenna tuner is on a separate shelf immediately above it. The other stuff is up higher, either because it isn't currently being used or doesn't get changed often. I have another desk with some old Heathkit and Realistic stuff on it that is also not in current use.

11. N5MDT

N5MDT Premium Subscriber

I never mount rigs one above another. Heat rises, and heat is a major antagonist for electronics.

12. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator

Aside from the obvious, a lack of space , there is no real reason to stack vertically. But most people don't have the room. I will note that with the nice computer programs available, touching your rig isn't all that necessary very often, when everything can be done with the mouse.

13. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member

I'd not noticed but lots of people do lots of things different these days. As for re-living their military days, maybe, maybe not. When you read about some of the activities of people.... I just wonder.

Mel G0GQK

14. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member

The "ideal" set up for a radio console, as thought by the major two-way radio manufacturers, was for a 5'5" woman and had all the major controls, etc., within easy "arm reach" while sitting in a chair. That same arrangement works very well for someone even taller. The ability to rest the forearm on the desktop while tuning the frequency of the transmitter / receiver, is not tiring to most people. For items that require only occasional tuning, then those can be farther away, either horizontally or vertically.

That principle is basically what I use on my main console. The equipment that I use most is on the first level allowing easy access. The equipment that I either use occasionally, or that requires infrequent adjustment, is on the second level. Equipment that I use very infrequently is higher still.

http://k9sth.com/uploads/Equipment_at_K9STH-20_March_2012.pdf

Ergonomics definitely plays an important role achieving an operating position that is comfortable to use and that is not tiring.

Glen, K9STH

15. N8MSA

N8MSA Premium Subscriber

What amazes me is that someone cares (and has the time to worry) about how people stack radios. I wish I had those kinds of problems.

16. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber

I'm glad someone brought it up !! Just last night I lay awake until almost dawn wondering about the horizontal / vertical position of equipment. (I was in a horizontal position until I had to get vertical for the new day):rolleyes:

17. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber

Are you adopting? I'm house trained ...

18. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator

lol.. That is the obvious answer to the question.

19. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber

Equipment has been stacked vertically from almost the beginning of radio. Remember the 6' high 19" relay rack? Typically, a receiver, key, maybe a VFO and mic on the desk, and everything else in the rack next to the operating table. The older ARRL Handbooks had instructions on how to build your own out of wood, and then paint them with black wrinkle so that they looked like metal.

20. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber

6712.jpg Not a great picture but those pieces of equipment that I use (transceiver, tuner, rotator control, antenna switch, amp and vhf radio are all at normal desk top height tilted up slightly to improve viewing angle. Pull out keyboard for the two computers. Mic on a boom, keyer on desk to my right. Computer monitors at eye level. Prefix map and other reference material not used often are up high but viewable from the operating chair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.