ad: Winterfest-1

Back to PSK31

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W6ONV, Jul 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W6ONV

W6ONV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's been about a year since I have operated using PSK31. When I started out on HF I decided on PSK31 since it combined my interest in computers with that of amateur radio. When I took an interest in contesting, I upgraded all components of my station, added an amplifier (free, was a hand me down Alpha 76PA from my father) and started learning the ropes.

While I have not given up contesting, the past few days working 14.070 I have a renewed interest in PSK31. I have been very pleased with the activity within the US, especially states I had never worked in 2 years operating using the mode. I have even been able to pick up EU at only 20 watts.

I guess that is one reason why I enjoy the hobby, it's so diverse! You can use one mode, put it away and come back to it at a later date.

BTW anyone seen AC4BB's update on working all counties in the US using PSK31?

2. WS2L

WS2L Guest

I first started working PSK-31 in early 2008 but was off of HF for about 8 months. I recently purchased a Kenwood TS-480SAT and have the Rigblaster. I use DigiPan Ver. 2.0 and the activity on 20 meters last night was phenomenal. You might want to give RTTY a try, it is a descent mode and easy to operate. I use MMTTY for software and IMHO it is good software.

There are so many digital modes out there these days that it's hard to keep up with all of them.

Good luck operating PSK-31 and if you see me in the waterfall on 20 meters please give me a call.

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I do most digital modes, occasionally. I was really into psk31 for a couple of years, but I find I like RTTY better.....less macro stuff...more real QSOs.

eric

4. W6ONV

RTTY is by far my most favorite operating mode to date, although CW is a close second. I enjoy the mode, seem to have a very good signal worldwide. Currently using MMTTY for my RTTY work and the MMTTY engine (inside Win-Test) in all the RTTY contests I participate in. It was a nice change going back to PSK31 the past few days, but it won't replace RTTY :D

5. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Aaaah ! You're transmitting from the sixth floor, so what kind of antenna do you have ? A big one ? I think you've done rather well getting to Europe from CA with almost no sunspot activity on 20 watts but that's the vagaries of things at the moment. Was it Italy ? Been a long time since I last had a contact with CA but as luck was on my side it was a new county, yippee !

G0GQK

6. W6ONV

Got into France (F4EZD) oddly enough with a 5-band hex beam at only 20'. Was at 35, but we lost that mast and now I am 15' shorter.

7. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good, I see F4EZD quite regularly on the screen. nice to know that things are improving, at least a little bit anyway. If that big orange thing would start working properly a million of us all round the world would be much happier !

G0GQK

8. G7PAF

G7PAF Ham Member QRZ Page

Stephen
    have you looked at http://pskreporter.info
    Monitoring W6ONV (last heard 2 days ago). W6ONV statistics: 394 reports, 20 countries last week

so you was heard in more than just the continetal USA

put your call in and see what your hearing and were your being heard

you could join EPC for a bit of fun for there free awards

http://eu.srars.org/

it all adds to the fun

9. W6ONV

Yeah I remember the PSK Reporter site after I got back into working PSK31. Nice little site, I'll check out EPC, thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.