AZ EL ROTATOR CONTROL WITH MAC

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by W6PJJ, Feb 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W6PJJ

W6PJJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking for comments and suggestions from Amateurs who have interfaced a Mac Computer running MacDoppler Satellite Tracking Application to an AZ EL Rotator System such as the Yaesu G5400B. Any recommendations on a USB interface for this purpose?

Don
    W6PJJ

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The G5400B has been superseded by the G5500, if I'm not mistaken.

To be honest, I'm not all that familiar with the requirements to connect a Mac to the controller unit for such a system, but would suspect that it would simply require a basic USB-RS232 Serial adapter. If that's the case, then there is no finer USB-Serial adapter for macOS than the Tripplite USA-19HS. The drivers are always up-to-date and it just works. FTDI-based adapters are usually pretty good, but stay away from Prolific-based adapters. However, I can't recommend the USA-19HS strongly enough. It is a bit more expensive, but will absolutely pay for itself in reduced frustration.

To get a better answer, you may want to join the MacDoppler mailing list where you can interact with Don Agro (the developer) and other users to get specific advice to match your equipment and setup.