ad: wmr-1

Automotive Industry migrates to 48V electrical system

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5TXR, Mar 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

GREAT piece on 5G in the latest MICROWAVE JOURNAL.

Arrived today. Big section on 5G and cars..........

MUST reading, IMO.

Chip W1YW

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Done to save weight--- to increase gas mileage rating.

3. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How big a batteries are you talking? Big power Ni-Cad experience? The University of Minnesota with their Beech King Air returned from a flight one evening with a Battery Warning. They flipped off the charging system and were just minutes from getting home. They pulled the Ni-Cad out of it, IT was very hot... The Boss put the bat on a 2X4 in the middle of the hanger away from EVERYTHING. When everybody returned in the morning they found a big black spot in the floor and charred ashes. It burned itself and torched the 2x4 to nothing.. The Cessna 208B has TWO Ni-Cad warning systems aboard the first triggers you kill the charging, and pull a whole row of breakers. This is if there's a battery charging overheat. If the second one goes off it means the battery is in thermal runaway, you either hit the silk, or aim for the nearest field.

Ni-Cads also require lots of maintenance to recondition them... If you found your handheld losing capacity... they can be regenerated... You have too on a $5000+ batteries you don't just dump them in the landfills. The Fokker had a GIANT Ni-Cad between the pilots in the nose. I used to know how much it weighed. It's heavy. ONE Warning System. If that battery exploded it would probably KILL the pilots in the air so you wouldn't have to worry about landing the bird with everything in front of the windscreen blown off including the nose gear.

They still "talk about" the Lockheed Jetstar back in 1968 took off from MSP Climbed out and the nose pointed straight down. The people based at our airport ANE say there was a sonic boom just before it dug a massive hole off the departure end of rwy 26. That crater was still there even after i left in 1989. They say the NTSB found rear of the aircraft down 8' They only suspect a Ni-Cad battery explosion. It just took about 5 minutes before everybody died. BOOM...

The fires from the Teslas is individual Li-Ion cells shorting and starting a fire. I'm sure those fires come on much gentler than a Ni-Cad cutting lose... no matter what they'll make a whopper blaze by the time the whole car torches... :(

KQ6XA likes this.
  4. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

There does appear to be a small group of well known investors looking at developments in Hydrogen fuel as a new/better way to move an automobile. It sure would be clean as the burned fuel equals water vapor emissions. And another company has expertise in hydrogen fuel cells as electric supply. It would be nice to see such a clean fuel.

KM5BOR likes this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

5G is a generic description for leveraging wide bandwidth swaths, from roughly 600 MHz thru (many parts up to ) 6GHz, with additional added bands at far higher frequencies.

5G ENCOMPASSES 4G. It does NOT replace it.

MOST of these '5G IoT' sensors will be low power, low duty cycle, and many will be parasitic harvesters of energy, so no 'switching' power supplies on them.

I have no idea why you have even a basis to speculate on potential interference from the 5G carrier-based 'IoT' --to ham bands. If you don't see it with 4G, where there is plenty of the "IoT' you allude to already happening (ed), why should extension to other, millimeter bands in ANY way have a deleterious effect on ham radio?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    KK4HPY, WU8Y and KQ6XA like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You have to look at the total energy footprint, in manufacturing and production, not just the user stats.

What does it take to make the these batteries? What does it take to get the hydrogen?

:)

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Fake news on QRZ cracks me up.

The new ones will also have a blow tube and eye test, To see if you are suitable for driving.

If the girl in the passenger looks good to you, The engine may not start. :rolleyes: Could be a faults alarm.

K0WJ likes this.
  8. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a mitigation to lawsuits and warranty claims, i.e. 'we warned you'.

9. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "How big a batteries are you talking? "

Small - industrial use, as in, 2-way radios and devices that used to use Nicads (now NiMH) cells.

Not but a select few here are exposed/have experience on an industrial scale with Nicads.

Nicads 'getting warm' is end-of-charge condition. Not unusual. Very different if a Li-Ion gets warm. Go read the tech guides/'care and feeding of' for the old Nicad technology.

Nicad "memory" is a well-known phenom. One of the guys (Bud Simciac?) who did the Heathkit HT re-design in '78 came from Repco and he had data, actual capacity plots, of Nicads being reconditioned ... they had a customer who had a 'guard shack' application where the radio sat in the charger all the time and only used sporadically ... batts had gained a horrific memory condition as a result. Somewhere, here, I've got 'photo-copies' (Xeroxs) of that data ...

10. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe -- but there were 8-volt batteries sold for cars and tractors that had issues at 6 volts.

11. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I test drove one. Me, the salesman and a friend in it, with the AC on -- we managed about 20 MPH up a hill from the dealership, with the pedal to the metal. Turned the car around and went back to the dealership. What a POS.

KD8DWO likes this.
  12. W7CSD

W7CSD Ham Member QRZ Page

The talk of changing to 24 or 48 volt battery systems in the automotive industry has been going on for years. About 25 years ago the talk to migrate was based upon emission requirements and the only way to accomplish that was the use of VVT valves. The current technology was too primitive to drive the actuators with 12 volts and the need came out to increase the voltage to something higher to drive the system. They also talked about eliminating the accessory alternator and build it into the flywheel. I'm sure there was discussions of using the alternator as the starter also saving additional weight.

Fast forward 25 years and the same discussion is going on today. The cost in infrastructure would be enormous so, most manufactures have found ways to adapt new technology into the current environment

Eric, W7CSD.

NK2U and KQ6XA like this.
  13. KD7YVV

KD7YVV Ham Member QRZ Page

So any answers on my questions in my reply above on the solar cells?
    48V motors are becoming popular in E-Bikes with some systems 72V and even 96V.

14. KC9YNL

KC9YNL Ham Member QRZ Page

sounds like someones' sick idea of how to stimulate business. Follow the money and you'll find the truth.

15. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, perhaps so, but nobody seems to want to do this for oil energy. I wonder why that is...

W1YW likes this.