Audio Audio Audio

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by K1DNR, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Smart man! The Symetrix 528E is THE voice processor. What a wonderful unit. I used them in USAF PA system setups years ago. They are the one to get.

I'm also looking for a nice one for my 850S. :)

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I am no doubt in the minority, but what the hey is the matter with the stock microphone? condmic.jpg

The graph is of a common condenser microphone, similar to the ones Icom, and others use. I don't suspect you can get flatter response from any other type of microphone. What's more, far too many neophytes believe that just by replacing the lousy stock microphone, will suddenly make them sound like the local FM radio station as if that mattered! What really counts is intelligibility, not fidelity! After all, we're talking SSB here, not some full-response music transfer medium!

3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

But but but Alan... the stock microphone doesn't have that sexiness factor like a big, shiny, and very expensive microphone! I've also heard there's a law stating you must have several processing units mounted in a rack to go with that big, shiny, and very expensive microphone. ;)

Once, many years ago, I wanted to sound like the local FM radio station. So, I worked there (really). We had big, shiny, and very expensive microphones to go with our big xmtr. Our Chief Engineer Ida Knowe told us big, shiny, and very expensive microphones make your small xmtr sound like a big xmtr. ;)

Before we can have intelligibility, we must have intelligence. ;)

To many, I don't have fidelity (that's the way I like it). Does that make me an infidel? ;)

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Castro had a kidney stone, it was reported.

That stone was InFidel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.