Audio Audio Audio

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by K1DNR, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
  1. VK1OD

VK1OD Ham Member QRZ Page

That might well be due to small frequency translation error (ie rx off tune).

Owen

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey, didn't know you played flute, Charley. My daughter Tiffany plays flute, and has for many years. I don't. I can't even make a sound with it.

But she tells me this is an instrument that is never in tune because changes in temperature drive it off key, so that's the way it is.

She's still first chair in the local symphony orchestra, though. Off key or not.

3. K1DNR

K1DNR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, as a saxophone player you kind of have to double on clarinet and flute! Some guys play all the saxophones, all the clarinets, flutes AND double reeds.

It is really hard to do the flute justice as a saxophonist, the muscles involved are completely different. All instruments are strongly affected by the temperature. Maybe you need to buy her one that is gold plated? :D http://www.powellflutes.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=38&idproduct=165 (head joint sold separately)

4. K1DNR

K1DNR Ham Member QRZ Page

In all seriousness Steve, that's fantastic. Its a wonderful thing to play music.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I play very well!

I play the phonograph, the CD, the DVD and many other things.

6. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't let it ever be said that Steve doesn't have prowess. It might not be in music, but every time I have ever seen him, he was always surrounded by good looking women. Go figure!

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

When I'm not using a headset (Heil ProSet Plus), I sometimes use a RS #33-3038. I get nothing but high praise for the audio from locals and DX in all modes. They think I'm using a high-dollar microphone. Cost = $24.99:

[​IMG][​IMG]

I spent more on the boomstand (Hercules, pn MS540B), about $50 from Amazon. I needed a low rise unit because I needed to mount it to the end of the shelf on my operating table. It needed to have at least 36" reach because my operating table is 72" wide. I use a 12"x1ΒΌ" pipe & floor flange instead of the tripod.

My rig is a Kenwood TS-850S. I use a Symetrix 528E Voice Processor for dynamic range & frequency response adjustment.

A comment was made regarding OEM handheld micrphones. Yes, they work fine... when you can afford to dedicate one hand to operating it. Such is not always the case. When you need both hands free, nothing beats a headset + footswitch. With a headset, the microphone is ALWAYS in the correct position no matter which way you turn your head. I use the boom-mounted microphone only when I'm tired of using the headset, or when I'm expecting the doorbell or telephone to ring.

8. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

9. W7CDX

W7CDX Ham Member QRZ Page

The HC4 element is not designed for ragchewing, but it will get you heard in noisy conditions or weak signal reception at the receiving station. For ragchewing an element with a fuller/flatter response works better. I have found the Heil GM4 mic to work nicely in both situations. Use the 'Wide' element for ragchewing and the 'Narrow' element for noisy or weak signal reception situations.

10. KE7TRP

KE7TRP Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct.. The D104 is 2 to 10 MEGA ohms. Sounds tinny with no low end on the wrong impedance. I saw Bob Heil give a presentation in person at the DW convention. He confirmed that the HC4 and HC5 are done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.