Audio Audio Audio

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by K1DNR, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. K1DNR

K1DNR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, its really a recording app - and I suppose I could wire things up and patch it through in some kind of monitor configuration...

I really don't want to complicate it that much. Ideally I want a mic that is doing the work, and then just touch it up in the rig a bit if necessary.

It would probably be handy for something like PSK to notch or adjust bandwidth... I think there are other dedicated DSP apps that are better suited. I haven't really investigated them.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At home all I use are Heil studio mikes (PR40 model). Lots of reasons but here are some:

-These are big, heavy, robust mikes that will take a serious beating if they need to.
    -This is a stand/boom mike only. I don't like desk mikes, so I use a boom. It holds the mike right in front of my lips at any seating angle or height, and can "follow me around" as I move, if I want to move while using it.
    -Its response is flat as a pancake. No peaks or rises anywhere; so if used without any EQ or anything to shape the response, it's extremely natural sounding.
    -It has GREAT noise immunity and big nulls to the sides and rear; you can use it in front of a noisy amplifier (behind it) and it won't pick that up at all.
    -Using it with a footswitch (the mike has no PTT switch anyway) makes for very convenient "hands free" operation so I can write, type or do other stuff with my hands while operating.

I have Shure SM58s and stuff that are almost as good, not quite, and cheaper. But once you start using a boom mike and footswitch (or VOX), it's really hard to go back to holding or touching anything, and I'll sure never go back to "leaning over" to talk into a desk mike. My back hurts just thinking about that.:p

3. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

I was going to answer the question about the handheld mics, but someone beat me to it! Used to be that handheld mics were beefy, chunky things that fit in the palm of the hand, and you could very comfortably wrap your fingers around them. ( think Motorola for instance ! )

Now days, many handheld mics are so small that it is quite difficult to get a firm grip on them, and they are quite uncomfortable to use after a short while! And if they have a DTMF pushbutton matrix on the back of them, that is just one more thing that you have to watch out for, to prevent accidently actuating something you shouldn't !

4. VK1OD

VK1OD Ham Member QRZ Page

I year or three back, I had a period of using a boom mic with a footswitch.

Just like PTT buttons can put a dent in your body if you yap on for a bit, so I found foot switches can become uncomfortable on bare feet, and restrictive of movement.

That inspired me to put the 'Tap'nYap' feature into my TS2000, which makes the PTT latch on with a short 'blip' of the PTT.

Having gotten used to it, I wouldn't be without it.

Owen

5. WB2WIK

I like footswitches, but they vary in design and materials of course.

I use the HEIL footswitches, which don't take much pressure at all (the weight of my foot just resting on it, without applying any mindful pressure, works just fine) and has a large rubber-coated surface that's pretty comfortable to use, even barefooted.

But then I'd never be soldering while barefoot, right?;):p

(Inside joke for the thousands of us who have burned our feet over the years with solder splashes...)

6. N4BBQ

N4BBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

All this being said, my favorite mic is a boom mic. It's a Nady TCM1100 (valve amplifier inside). And like WIK says, flat response across my vocal range. I use it on a Kenwood 830 with no extra equalizers/mixers/whatevers. The 830 has the audio in that hates to be tied to chassis ground, so the XLR plug works great with audio (+) to the 830 audio line, audio (-) to the 830 audio ground, and the GND tied to the chassis on the 830. I get great reports on this setup. I did try using it with a small Behringer mixer, but it was never "me". Straight in, it perfect. Again, keep on looking Charley.

7. VK1OD

VK1OD Ham Member QRZ Page

If you use a boom mic, it often makes a lot of sense to have a fairly aggressive low cut filter to remove the thumps that come via the floor and stand. Some of the newer radios offer equalisation that might solve that, but it was a requirement for low cut and phantom power that motivated me to use an external mic amp.

Owen

8. WB2WIK

The mike I use (Heil PR40 on a boom) has this item to take care of that: http://heilsound.com/pro/products/sm2/

Even during an earthquake, it transmits no noise to the mike. Don't ask me how I know that.

9. K1DNR

Thanks gentlemen. I've got some other gear, a CAD large diaphragm condenser in a large shock mount, but I was avoiding the whole pre-amp and phantom power issue especially since I've had some issues with (what I thought was) RF in the audio. I use that mic for home recording the saxophone and flute. I've two more matched small diaphragm condensers I use on my piano. Right now they are mounted inside the kick panel...

I've got a 18" goose neck mounted to the desk. I made a PTT switch (with a shielded cable and shielded box) The capsules in the Heil and the Samson are both "shock mounted" internally. I think I should exchange the HM-4 for the next model up which has two capsules in it (one more flat, one more narrow). Either that or solve the issue with the RF or Magnetic interference and use the Samson or Shure.

I haven't measured the ladder line, but I doubt its balanced for a few reasons - the antenna itself is a bit odd in shape and orientation, and the ladder line passes though the house around several moldings, a window frame, etc... That said, would it make more sense to run 50 feet of coax to the window and use a current balun from there with the ladder line? I'm pretty sure the balun inside the Heathkit tuner is a 4:1 voltage balun. I've noticed the audio sounds cleaner transmitting into my dummy load than it does into the tuned ladder line / antenna.

10. K1DNR

One more observation that might mean something or might not -

When I monitor with a second receiver, I hear what I would describe as a phasing effect.

The effect is similar to what you would hear if you had two microphones and a moving source moving around, thus causing nodal peaks and nulls as they move between the two mics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.