!!ATTENTION!!ATTENCION!! CYBERCRIME IN PROGRESS; kc2zxl@aol.com

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KC2ZXL, Mar 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Recommend that people use PayPal because when they do they are protected from fraud.

W7LDG likes this.
  2. WC3T

WC3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

... but NOT Friends and Family. Make sure to use Goods and Services. If they insist on your paying with F&F, run like hell.

That is, unless they are related to you. Or maybe even IF they are related to you. ;)

W7LDG likes this.
  3. AD5KO

Right, never use friends and family!

You know what, they should include fraud protection with that also.. IMO.

4. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to do your homework regarding Paypal, that is only a perception not reality.

5. AD5KO

I have used PayPal for years, many years and it is a fact, PayPal protects it's users from fraud. Before PayPal existed I wrote encrypted secure payment methods for websites and then later started integrating PayPal in to them. And over the years on occasion PayPal has refunded payments I have made because of fraud, it has also done this for others I know who are in business and use PayPal every day. It is the same as using a credit card or a debit for

The way it works is you open a dispute and PayPal is the mediator. If you are in the right, they refund your money.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  6. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

That is part of the problem. Scammers routinely use the "not as described" to leverage sellers into a concession. Why does this take place, to open a paypal case the person opening the case can just do it "willy-nilly" without any recourse for making a false statement. With a credit card the person filing the claim will have to sign an affidavit that legally binds them to the telling the truth. This is one of the most common, not by any means the only one. For anyone selling an item of value they are a foolish to use paypal because eventually a scammer will rip them off.

A regular credit offers the same protection, it does make sure you have an honest dispute and they refund you. So explain to me why Paypal is so much "safer" than a credit card?

7. WD8ED

WD8ED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Phone calls are almost totally worthless. Only adds a bit of risk of getting caught. It's just part of a good scam.

I got scammed by a hacked QRZ account. I paid using paypal. It took me almost a month but I got every dime back. My paypal account is only tied to credit card like AmEx.

It's like somebody else said, buy using paypal, sell using USPS money order. It's the best way I can think of. Of course that's not exactly the best way for somebody buying from you. But negotiate it. If you sell via paypal document the condition of the device and it's packaging for any dispute later. I've never had that problem. But in 25 years of buying and selling ham gear online I had never been scammed... till recently. It just show's where the world is going.

Is there any guess what percentage of ads posted on QRZ are actually scams at any given time. I'd guess it could be as many a 20%. ???

Thanks,

Ed
    WD4ED

8. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

At roughly 100 ads per day on Swapmeet, scams show at less than 1.5% over the last year that end up being presented for all to see. The rest are gone before they are ever visible.

N0TZU and W7UUU like this.
  9. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Friends and Family is offered as a FREE service by PatPal. Many (most?) users who get scammed by way of Friends and Family are doing it to avoid the PayPal fee. Why the h*** should they do anything for you after you tried to deprive them of their Goods and Services profit? If they provided free protection for a free service, how many would volunteer to pay any fee ever?

When you buy from a stranger, they are NOT your family. And you have no idea if they are someone who could even be a potential friend. Pay the fee you owe for the transaction, and they will take pretty good care of you. Try to cheat them, and take what's coming to you.

And I do know that the buyer actually "pays" the fee. Not the seller. But that is a business expense, and it is figured into the price you pay.

WB0MPB likes this.
  10. AD5KO

I agree.