Art Bell's (WB6OBB) really big loop antenna

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC0BUS, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
ad: l-sarc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KC0BUS

KC0BUS Ham Member QRZ Page

I was looking at Art Bell's (W6OBB) Really Big Loop antenna on this link and got to wondering what the performance must be like and what the advantages and disadvantages must be for such a loop antenna. Anyone's thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  2. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

#1. It's a great conversation starter.

3. WA9CWX

WA9CWX Ham Member QRZ Page

He said, as I recall, that he could work Europe during the DAY on 75 phone...
    He also mentioned many times on the air that there was an unusual high voltage (static charge) on that thing, and he had to take special precautions to reduce the effect on his gear.
    However, there is a VERY local ( right next door I think) High power AM station on the air all day, THAT might have something to do with induced current on the antenna.....
    I THINK it was two loops of about a half mile of wire, one about 40' up the other a little higher, but I am not sure, been a while since I have heard him, either on the air(BCB), or on 75 meters.

4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Now that really is one big loop.

5. K0WVM

K0WVM Ham Member QRZ Page

He used to be on 3840? Wheres he at now?

6. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

All it takes is MONEY, and wheelbarrows and wheelbarrows full of it!

7. WB1HJS

WB1HJS Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool!! In a year or so, when I'm using wheelbarrows full of money to buy a loaf of bread, I'll put one up at WB1HJS!

8. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Considering the source, the antenna is obviously optimized for communicating with space aliens. It also serves as sort of a tin foil hat for his ranch, in case HAARP attempts to communicate with his horses, and thereby take over the planet.

eric

9. W2IBC

W2IBC Ham Member QRZ Page

lol. that made me laugh.

looks like art is still in good ol Pahrump,Nevada

10. VA6AW

VA6AW Ham Member QRZ Page

LOOKS LIKE AREA 51 OR COULD ART HAVE CREATED AREA 52 TO TAKE PRESSURE OFF OF THE NEW ADMINISTRATION DOWN THERE.

VA6AW SKCC #4980

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.