Art Bell W6OBB

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by N4NJJ, Apr 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

K3EY and AC0OB like this.
  2. CONFUSO

CONFUSO QRZ Member

Sorry now that I didn't get a chance to listen to him.

3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A friend of mine in the NAVY was Jim Wilson. When I arrived in San Miguel, P.I. in Nov. 1964, Jim had a show on the base AFRS (Armed Forces Radio) station. When he transferred back to the states for discharge, I inherited his radio show.
    Sometime in the late 60's/early 70's, he returned to Okinawa as a civilian to work at KSBK/JORO radio as a D.J. in Naha, Okinawa.

Here is his epitaph:

JIM WILSON has passed away, in Texas. Jim died on May 5th/2015, of a Heart Attack. Jim was one of the mainstays of the Station. He worked a Daily Show on both KSBK, and was at JORO, during the closure of the Station, with Bob Wales & ART BELL**. Following his years at KSBK/JORO, Jim became Program Director for a Station in Puerto Rico. Then moved to Padre Island, Texas where he was Program Director & on-the-air personality. A Personal Note...... Jim was a Radio Genius! His "Side Stories, and Mini-Dramas", were Masterful. I'll remember him as a very sound Professional. Jim was 72 years old. May You Rest In Peace.

Jim wsn't a ham, but, he would've made a good one ! He was a Morse Intercept Operator with the Naval Security Group. (Being on AFRS was just a "side-job" in addition to his normal duties)

https://www.valleymorningstar.com/c...cle_f520244c-fa48-11e4-b79f-c70c01143488.html
    (The article has the callsign KE
    BK - It was KSBK)

Jim worked with ART BELL on Okinawa @ KSBK/JORO

They both died at age 72 :( (much too young)

**ART BELL:
    Art Bell

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  4. KT0L

KT0L Ham Member QRZ Page

You can listen to reruns 24x7 on U7RADIO.ORG

KF5VGK likes this.
  5. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

7. N5GAR