ad: AbAuRe-1

Art Bell W6OBB

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by N4NJJ, Apr 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC2BDZ

KC2BDZ Ham Member QRZ Page

i always wanted to talk to him, either on ham or his radio show, but missed any opportunities, unless he's monitoring this forum from beyond. i suppose i had no chance of speaking to him on ham though, i'm one of those poor hams that can't afford any equipment. RIP Art, i'll be listening to rebroadcast/podcast of your radio shows from time to time, when i have a hankering to listen to the "Legend" (which he hated being called). 73s

2. N5GAR

N5GAR Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish I had a recording of Art Bell's interview with Jim Haynie, W5JBP

W6OBB likes this.
  3. K2FT

K2FT Ham Member QRZ Page

John,K2FT ,x WN2GWB,WB2GWB here,.I met Art at Dayton in late 1970s. He was an interesting fellow ham .I listened to him on Coast to Coast AM! Sad when he went off air.
    He was a visionary for sure! Brilliant man, He talked about his wavelength square loop antennas 80 M and 160 M wow! 160 meters huge structure! RIP Art!

4. W2MYA

W2MYA Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the giants of talk radio,in the days of it's infancy.Never knew the varied background of Art's life.
    My deepest condolences to Art's family.Art was well ahead of his time,he will now be able to completely
    understand the issues he discussed.
    Never had the pleasure of working him on the air. Respectfully, Gregory L,Mitchell W2MYA

5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I started listening to him during some of my all nighter banzai runs and it didnt take me long to realize he was a confirmed nut case.....but entertaining as hell. At least the show kept me awake as it was carried on several AM stations and sure beat the other crap at those hours.

Carl

K8PG likes this.
  6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

K3EY and AC0OB like this.
  7. CONFUSO

CONFUSO QRZ Member

Sorry now that I didn't get a chance to listen to him.

8. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A friend of mine in the NAVY was Jim Wilson. When I arrived in San Miguel, P.I. in Nov. 1964, Jim had a show on the base AFRS (Armed Forces Radio) station. When he transferred back to the states for discharge, I inherited his radio show.
    Sometime in the late 60's/early 70's, he returned to Okinawa as a civilian to work at KSBK/JORO radio as a D.J. in Naha, Okinawa.

Here is his epitaph:

JIM WILSON has passed away, in Texas. Jim died on May 5th/2015, of a Heart Attack. Jim was one of the mainstays of the Station. He worked a Daily Show on both KSBK, and was at JORO, during the closure of the Station, with Bob Wales & ART BELL**. Following his years at KSBK/JORO, Jim became Program Director for a Station in Puerto Rico. Then moved to Padre Island, Texas where he was Program Director & on-the-air personality. A Personal Note...... Jim was a Radio Genius! His "Side Stories, and Mini-Dramas", were Masterful. I'll remember him as a very sound Professional. Jim was 72 years old. May You Rest In Peace.

Jim wsn't a ham, but, he would've made a good one ! He was a Morse Intercept Operator with the Naval Security Group. (Being on AFRS was just a "side-job" in addition to his normal duties)

https://www.valleymorningstar.com/c...cle_f520244c-fa48-11e4-b79f-c70c01143488.html
    (The article has the callsign KE
    BK - It was KSBK)

Jim worked with ART BELL on Okinawa @ KSBK/JORO

They both died at age 72 :( (much too young)

**ART BELL:
    Art Bell

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  9. KT0L

KT0L Ham Member QRZ Page

You can listen to reruns 24x7 on U7RADIO.ORG

KF5VGK likes this.
  10. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

11. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

12. N5GAR

N5GAR Ham Member QRZ Page

13. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Your missing out on the Corona virus toilet paper shortage , Art!

RRK

K8JA likes this.
  14. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I'm sure he would have some really funny contributions to the topic, no question!!

"Toilet paper hats" would must assuredly replace those made from tin foil :)

RIP Art.... I so wish I'd have had our great chat earlier than we did, and your card on my wall.

You'll be missed for sure - for a long time to come

Dave
    W7UUU

K8JA and KA2RRK like this.
  15. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

A SINCERE THANK YOU TO ALL OF ART'S FRIENDS WHO HAVE EXPRESSED THEIR CONDOLENCES.

W6OBB.jpg
    ==================== 1 animated Flag QRZ PAGE.gif
    ============================== Vietnam_Service_Medal,_obverse.jpg
    ======================= A FINAL SALUTE NEW.jpg
    ================..======= 1 A PRAYING HANDS WITH RAINBOW.jpg
    =======================....======== 1 A candle_animation_1_.gif

RESPECTFULLY,

NY4Q and KA2RRK like this.