ad: elecraft

Art Bell W6OBB

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by N4NJJ, Apr 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4NJJ

N4NJJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Oh no!! That's really sad... I just worked him for the first time about 6 months ago.... sent off an SASE that surely now will never be returned.

His was a radio voice that I first found many years ago with his "Coast to Coast"

RIP Art :(

Dave
    W7UUU

KI7CUS likes this.
  3. NY7Q

NY7Q Ham Member QRZ Page

ONLY 72 YEARS OLD. TOO MANY WIVES PROBABLY. I LISTENED TO HIM FOR MANY YEARS AND VISITED HIM SEVERAL TIMES IN PAHRUMP NEVADA, TOO BAD, HE WAS A NICE PERSON.

4. N5GAR

N5GAR Ham Member QRZ Page

I happened to hear Art Bell, W6OBB, talking with others recently on an HF band. He discussed the birth of his son. I also knew the people who headed up the organization that brought us Coast to Coast and so many other programs. The news of Art's passing is being announced tonight, Friday April 13. I'll have more to say as we learn more. RIP.

5. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Arthur W. Bell, W6OBB SK April 13, 2018

[​IMG]

LAS VEGAS (KSNV) — Radio host Arthur William Bell passed away Friday, April 13.

Arthur Bell, also known as Art Bell was the original owner of Pahrump based radio station KNYE 95.1 FM. And perhaps best known for his conspiracy theory in the paranormal, with his radio show "Coast to Coast" - which was syndicated across the nation.

The Nye County Sheriff's Office says Bell died at his home in Pahrump, Nevada.

Bell is scheduled for an autopsy later this week to determine the cause of death.

He was 72-years-old.

http://news3lv.com/news/local/radio-host-art-bell-dies-at-72-in-pahrump-home

6. DU1VHY

DU1VHY Ham Member QRZ Page

Art Bell was a licensed ham during his stay in the Philippines. 4F1AB donated the ICOM 756 Pro II to the national HQ, PARA. God bless you. Our prayers and condolences to your family. 73

NL7W likes this.
  7. K2HAT

Originator and former host of late-night American radio talk show “Coast to Coast AM,” Art Bell died at the age of 72 on Friday at his Nevada home surrounded by his family. The news of Bell’s death was confirmed by Nye County, Nevada, Sheriff’s Office.

The last time Bell hosted an edition of "Coast to Coast AM" was in the year 2010. In the recent years, he was more involved in the creation and production of an overnight talk show named “Midnight in the Desert” on the Dark Matter Digital Network.

The current host of his former show “Coast to Coast AM,” George Noory also made an announcement about Bell’s death during his show at 1:20 a.m. local time (2:20 a.m. EDT) Saturday. The cause of Bell's death was yet to be revealed.

Born June 17, 1934, in Jacksonville, North Carolina, to Arthur Bell, Jr., a United States Marine Corps captain, and Jane Gumaer Bell, a Marine drill instructor, Bell also served in the U.S. Air Force as a medic during the Vietnam War and in his free time operated a pirate radio station at Amarillo Air Force Base, where he played anti-war music that was not aired on the American Forces Network.

He was an American Broadcaster and author and the original host of the paranormal-themed show “Coast to Coast AM,” which was broadcasted on hundreds of radio station in U.S. and Canada. He also created and hosted its companion show “Dreamland.”

He semi-retired from the show in the year 2003 and hosted a lot of weekend programs on primetime networks for the following four years. Bell finally announced his retirement in July 2007 but even after that, on occasions, served as a guest host through 2010.

According to his bio, when Bell was asked the reason for his retirement, he said he wanted to spend more time with his wife and their daughter, who was born in May 2007.

But even after announcing his retirement, Bell returned to radio July 20, 2015, with a new show called “Midnight in the Desert,” which is available online on TuneIn and on some terrestrial radio stations. However, he retired again in December 2015 citing security concerns at his home.

Bell said he and his family were subject to repeated intrusions at his home in Pahrump, Nevada, including gunshots.

Fearing for his family’s safety, Bell finally decided to go off the air due to the attention that comes with living in the public life because he believed the intruder(s) wanted him to leave the shows.

In addition to his TV shows, Bell was also the original owner of a Pahrump-based radio station, KNYE 95.1 FM and both his broadcast studio and transmitter were located near his home in Pahrump itself.

Bell also lived in the Philippines from June to December 2006 and returned back in March 2009 after having difficulties in obtaining a visa for his wife. He is survived by his wife Airyn and their daughter.

http://www.ibtimes.com/who-was-art-bell-radio-host-dies-72-2672002

8. K2HAT

9. KA3ZAI

KA3ZAI Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard Art on the air once. Listened to Coast to coast back when he did the show. RIP W6OBB

10. W5OSP

W5OSP Guest

Art W6OBB is one of the greats in Talk Radio as well as Amateur Radio. RIP ART
    I am 87 this month, see you soon.

N5AX, KG7AQN and K3EY like this.
  11. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad to hear this news.

12. K2NS

K2NS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to listen to Art on his "coast to coast AM" show on WABC 770 or WOR 710 (can't remember which one) radio in NY when I had trouble sleeping. Always an interesting show. I heard him once on 40 meters, but the pileup was too big for me to break with my measly 100 watts. RIP Art.

13. KB3JQQ

KB3JQQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I should have sent him a QSL card years ago, now I'll just have to settle for LOTW.

He answered my CQ on 10 meters.

W6OBB likes this.
  14. KD9IGR

KD9IGR Ham Member QRZ Page

R.I.P Art Bell You will be greatly missed

W6OBB likes this.
  15. N6TPT

N6TPT Ham Member QRZ Page

He's the one to "blame" for my spending the past 18+ years running SETI@Home on computers at home. RIP, Art, you will be missed.