ARRL wants a "simpler" "entry level" license!????

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K8EA, Feb 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-assoc
  1. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is that a dude with long hair or a chick with 5 o'clock shadow?

2. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Yehuh ik ozz
    catgottongue.jpg

3. AF7JA

AF7JA Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for taking the time to remind new hams that they are most un-welcome.

WG7X and WU8Y like this.
  4. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

And that, folks, is the entire point of this whole thread.

It could be re-titled, "QRZ wants a "harder" "know-it-all-before-you-start" license???!?!?!"

WG7X likes this.
  5. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Only the whiny, CB trash talking, fainting goat ones....

fainting-goats3.gif

WG7X likes this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

And there's the reason I'm not a member of NRA...

7. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Since when did it become fashionable for everything to be easy?

It would be interesting to hear even one rational explanation why we need more hams in a time when the number of licensees is at an all-time high.

N3AB, K1OIK, N4NYK and 3 others like this.
  8. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

That guy spent way too much time on his Halloween costume... :rolleyes:

9. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

That's actually an excellent idea. There's no requirement that CW be hand generated. And operating a receiver is not an activity that requires a license, so there's absolutely no restriction on how you receive the other guy's signal. I can't think of any rules that would specifically prohibit QRSS.

I can only think of two problems, and maybe they can be overcome. First of all, if a new Technician got on the air with keyboard generated CW, I don't think it's not entirely compatible with existing CW. It's not to say that it wouldn't work most of the time. But if a new tech is calling CQ and I come back with a straight key under marginal conditions, I might expect him to be able to copy me, but he wouldn't be able to. But this could be solved by having a designated part of the band, so that I know he's not able to copy manually.

Also, QRSS would hog a lot of spectrum, and there's currently nobody else using it. So he doesn't instantly have a lot of other stations to make QSO's with.

The advantage of PSK31 is that there are already a lot of stations for a newbie to work, and the signal takes up a lot less spectrum. So I think PSK31 would be a better choice.

But if the current rules don't change, then maybe we should consider promoting machine generated CW. It will generate a lot more QRM than if they had other digital modes, but I would be willing to live with the additional QRM. If this became successful, I'm sure there would be a lot of people complaining, and they'll probably be the same people complaining that they shouldn't get access to narrower digital modes.

I'm not aware of any inexpensive rig designed for machine CW. It would be a bit more expensive than the PSK version, since the wider bandwidth would really require a VFO instead of crystal control. So it would be a $200 box instead of a $100 box. But it seems like such a thing should be fairly easy to implement.

KD0TLS likes this.
  10. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, they're conducting a survey and the first question is "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?"

KK5JY likes this.