ARRL Ten Meter This Weekend.

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by N8CPA, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-innov
  1. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Love contests or hate them, they sure activate the bands. And that is particularly true of this one. Exchange is simple for W and VE stations, just RST--as honest as you like--and State or Province. For DX the exchange is RST + Serial Number. If you have not yet used your Technician 10M privileges, here's your chance. You can find complete rules at just about any contest oriented website.

I wish I could join you, but I'll have to sit this one out. It seems that little pain in my back I mentioned in another thread around Thanksgiving turned out to be a spinal stenosis, which completely debilitated me. I have spent the last week in the hospital--during which I missed the 160 and boy am I pi$$ed! So this week I'm in a physical rehab center getting the coordination back in my legs, so I'll miss the 10M. Jump in and have some fun for me.
  2. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Not quite right. Mexican stations send their state as well...
  3. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good luck recuperating. Sounds like your pain in the back is really a pain in the neck.

Propagation numbers are down right now. The EXACT same thing occurred in last years 10 meter 'test. Will be operating both CW & SSB & would be pleased to break the 1,000+ QSO mark. Gonna give it my best shot.

Installed my new "secret weapon" antenna for 10 meters on Tuesday & preliminary testing is very encouraging. Shack will be well heated this chilly weekend running the twin 8877's.

Strategy is to point Europe until 10 dies out (roughly noon local time) & then point SE and SW for the rest of the 'test. Band usually opens to JA about 4 PM local.................Fingers and toes crossed for decent band conditions!!!

Tom KCØW
  4. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member QRZ Page

sorry to hear you're under the weather I'm sure they wouldn't notice a small wire antenna:)
  5. WW0W

WW0W Ham Member QRZ Page

Will you be running as WW0WWW? I hope to work you, our phone exchanges have to sound crazy to anyone listening...

--Dave WWØW
  6. KC0W

Thanks for all the past Q's, Dave.

Hope to be using WWØWWW this weekend. I have the feelers out for several other local amateurs who might want to participate from 'da Cows shack this weekend.............Probably won't know until "game time" though.

Tom KCØW (& WWØWWW)
  7. KB9UWU

KB9UWU Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom, the SFI was 140 last year, it's 97 today and has been all week. GL running EU and JA with those numbers :) I'll be on for 20 hours or so as WR9D, mixed mode, with a slightly less toasty pair of 3cx800a's. CU on the air this weekend!
  8. KC0W

Interesting. I could have sworn the SFI last year is where it's at right now. I don't recall very favorable propagation in last years 10 meter 'test. Will have to pay a visit to the 3830 Contesting Reflector & see how I did along with any comments.

Tom KCØW
  9. KB9UWU

KB9UWU Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom, check this out... -V1_6.pdf

Look at the image on the first page, screen shot from

This weekend might be like a VHF contest! Have beer handy....
  10. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Staff Member QRZ Page

Plan on operating at least some this weekend. XYL has a function for us to go to Friday PM, but 10 will be dead at night and with the current SFI, not as good as I was hoping for during the day. Oh well, what can you do??

11. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is why God made alcohol, football games and television.

I predict it won't be very good. Last year's SFI was about 140, and many records were broken despite what I thought were just pretty average conditions (compared with, say 2001).
  12. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

I think your score in 2011 was "1".....
  13. NY7N

NY7N Ham Member QRZ Page

Going to miss this one for my other favorite hobby - making cars go around in crooked circles at high rates of speed. Ah well, conditions don't look like it'd be too much fun for me anyway.
  14. KB3LIX

KB3LIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Get back on your feet soon Steve (no pun intended)

I'll be on the contest but I don't expect much with the SFI.
    No heat here, just a measly 100 watts and chunk of zip cord.
  15. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes the numbers had been good for several weeks up till this one figures with the contest. Did manage during the active period to log 37 new band countries on 10m.

Had been working hard finishing up my SO2R setup with the K3's hope for at least some DX to work. The 10m contest is a favorite of mine also and after this year may going down hill from here on in the 10 contests.

Good luck to everyone in the contest.
  16. KC0W

Run a pair of K3's here as well.

What you really need to do this weekend is use one for CW & the other for SSB............Take advantage of the attenuation between horizontal vs. vertical polarization. Or perhaps some good filters while running legal limit? :)

Tom KCØW
  17. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha,Ha! CW! That's Funny!

18. KC0W

Terrible conditions on 10 meters this morning. Hopefully band will get better as the day goes on.

The usual cast of Caribbean stations are being well represented but signals are way down. Only been on CW due to no stations being heard on SSB at all.............When it takes two calls to work PJ2T ya know 'da band is broke. Huge signal award of the hour goes to VP5CW.

Coincidence of the hour is working PJ2T & then immediately PS2T who was just up the band.

Tom KCØW
  19. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

I called CQ for 20 minutes and worked 3 stations :(

But I got a new country on 10m, Nicaragua, tuning around afterwards :)
  20. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Staff Member QRZ Page

Awful down here too. Loudest signals on the band are from California. Barely heard any Europe at all. Did work a couple of EAs but now beaming South America, probably for the rest of the day. Oh well. Worked a buddy across town for some REAL DX!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.