ARRL Proposal to Give Technicians More Operating Privileges

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Apr 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly !!
    They don't want to earn it so temper tantrums will be thrown until it is given to them.
    I busted my butt to learn the code and went from no license to Extra Class w/Code in 1.5 years. If I can do it.... ANYONE CAN!
    Now that I have learned CW, I refuse to let it slip. More than 90% of my contacts are CW and will remain that way.

KC4V likes this.
  2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok. Ok. Chip wins the internet today.:D

W1YW likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

So here's the rap...

We SOLD the TECHs with the 'NOW You're TALKING' shtick---but assigned them in a band that is dead for talking (10M).

Since 2000, over 150,000 new Techs have been added, with a test question pool that STILL KEEPS THE CONTENT of that 'Now You're Talking' era.

Those TEST QUESTIONS SET AN EXPECTATION for TECHS.

So, my friends: live up the the promise and give the TECHS a REAL opportunity to TALK.

Add the ARRL proposed changes.

Chip W1YW

N3FAA, WU8Y, W7AV and 1 other person like this.
  4. NN4RH

That's a question pool issue, not a regulatory issue. I've already mentioned earlier that addressing the way we do testing and question pools needs to be looked at and made more effective. And more in line with reality. But in the meantime, the FCC has left the question pool to "us"; so if it's failing, it's "our" fault. The ARRL Technician Enhancement petition doesn't address this fail. In fact I believe that ARRL has stated that it doesn't want to change the question pool at all.

Needs to be sold to the FCC. That's who will make the decision.

As I've posted earlier, I think the Data privileges are a good idea. Phone, I've said I don't really care about either way. I don't operate phone myself, which is plentifully evident by now.

The issue is getting the FCC to buy into it. This ground has been covered before, but the FCC has in several past proceedings, said they were not going to increase Technician privileges because it's "easy" to upgrade to get those privileges and just giving them removes "incentive". The FCC is not on the "same page" as we are.

So part of the argument to the FCC needs to address that. Convince them that they are wrong, or that things have changed and they need to reevaluate that position; that there exists disincentive under the current privileges. Etc. Arguments about what Technicians "expect" I doubt will make an impression, since that's "our" fault not a defect in the regulations. Arguments about numbers and HF activity haven't been effective before and likely won't this time either. The EmComm card has been overplayed so many times it's lost its punch.

What I believe would convince the FCC is what someone else brought. up earlier: Does it impact Part 97.1 Basis and Purpose positively or not?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 6:00 PM
    W0PV, N2EY and W1YW like this.
  5. NN4RH

Well, OK, the other Big Issue is that there are a lot of current Generals and Extras who won't like it. Too bad. We each have to think abuot whether it's good or bad for the long term of the hobby/service; or whether our emotions and egos are more important.

N3FAA and W1YW like this.
  6. KE9OL

KE9OL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SEEMS LIKE EVERYONE IS HAVING FUN PILING ON FOR EXPRESSING AN OPINION AND ACCUSING ME OF SHOUTING BECAUSE I CHOOSE TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS. (AND HAVE TYPED IN ALL CAPS SINCE BEFORE THE TEXT POLICE DECIDED FOR EVERYONE THAT IT MEANS SOMETHING IS DOES NOT) ENJOY. (NOW I PUT IT IN BOLD...I REALLY MUST HAVE ISSUES)

7. NN4RH

OK. Noted.

8. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's a record? Well that explains a lot... I don't have any vinyl. Or a record player.

9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why all caps? This isn't RTTY.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Everyone is entitled to respect. But every opinion is not entitled to respect.

And remember this:

This is a discussion forum. Anything posted by anyone is fair game for discussion, debate, disagreement, dissection, disproof, analysis, commentary, etc. If you want to post something and not have anyone comment on it - you're in the wrong place.

Why are you still an Advanced after 30+ years?

AC0GT, WU8Y and N4AAB like this.
  10. AA4TG

AA4TG Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe that the FCC would be making a mistake if it followed the ARRL recommendations. If they want to give Technician class licensees extended privileges in the HF bands they should show some deference to the their incentive licensing goals by only giving them 50 to 100 kcs at the upper end of the band's, and because so many of them will want to go digital, they should receive 25 to 50 kcs centered in the digital portions. The ARRL wants to give them almost the total cw/digital portions thus eliminating any incentive the digital operators would have to upgrade.

KI4AX and KD4LT like this.