ARRL Petitions FCC for HF Phone Privileges for Technicians

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Mar 1, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

While we can all continue to try to convince each other, in the end it's up to the FCC. I don't think anything is going to change but it could. If I had to vote today, I would vote against change. Not because I'm not progressive, I just think it's already easy enough for someone to get to General.

KA4DPO and KK5JY like this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, it is [qrz.com]. :cool:

3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Only after 2007.

4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I actually have read them. I think you make an assumption that the FCC never changes and that policies are written in stone. This is not the case, and things change all the time. Whether or not they will change on this is hard to say. But I would make any bets either way, since it just depends on how they are feeling at the time. These aren't supreme court cases here, they are FCC rulings covering a hobby.

5. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Are most of their friends and neighbors Technicians too?

6. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. Technicians got privileges added without testing. I was a Tech+ at one time. I had to pass a code test to become a Tech+. A Technician never had to take a code test.

KA4DPO and K1OIK like this.
  7. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When the FCC sets prerequisites for changing them, and those changes are never met, then yes, they are written in stone as long as that condition continues. That's how rules work. ;)

FCC explained how they could be convinced to change the current structure -- but nobody is paying attention to what they said about that, and so the ongoing requests for change keep falling short of that standard, and so they are all going to fail until they pay attention and meet those conditions.

KA4DPO likes this.
  8. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually.....they did.

The Technician license was created in 1951. Originally, it required the same written exam as General, but only 5 wpm code. Originally, Techs only had 220 and up, but over time they got 6 meters, then 2 meters, then Novice HF privileges.

In 1987, FCC split the General written test into two parts, with one required for Technician and both for General.

In 1991, FCC dropped the code test for Technician.

Soon after that, FCC realized that there were two kinds of Technicians: those who had passed a code test and those who hadn't. So the Technician Plus was created for those who had passed a code test.

Over time, most code-tested Technicians were renewed as Technician Pluses....but not all, because of 10 year license terms.

WE4B likes this.
  9. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Some are hams, some are not. Sometimes these people hear that there is a ham radio class forming and they come down to learn more. I haven't run into anyone yet that had more that a casual grasp about what ham radio actually is, or that there are huge differences in privileges for different license classes. Ignorance of our hobby abounds in the general population.

Once in a while someone will say they want a technician license so they can talk on repeaters to their friends, but for the most part the people just have a small understanding of ham radio. Older people tend to have one idea about ham radio, younger people have another idea. A generational thing, I suppose.

10. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

I was licensed in 1994 so I don't know the history before then. All I know is I had to pass the code test to gain more bandwidth and then moved on to General. Thanks for the history. I actually find it interesting to see how the classes have changed over the years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.