ad: ProAudio-1

ARRL Petitions FCC for HF Phone Privileges for Technicians

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Mar 1, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

That is 100% incorrect. The FCC authorizes privileges according to the license class held.

PASSING the GENERAL element fulfills the FCC's requirements.

The FCC authorizes privileges to the license CLASS, not to the individual.

KR3DX and K1OIK like this.
  2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you missed the point in that expanding privileges is essentially a euphanism for lowering the standards, a concept which applies to all license classes and particularly the entry level Technician license.

As I tried answering your questions, perhaps you would explain why you seemingly believe giving more for no more effort is wise or what value-added that provides? Why isn't that the equivalent of quantity over quality?

KR3DX, K1OIK and ND6M like this.
  3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Many people say the same thing. But why should they have to upgrade to experience what should be basic amateur privileges? What is our fixation with an "upgrade" when the person hasn't even gotten into the hobby and had any worthwhile experience? We are telling people to "upgrade" before they are even licensed. This makes not sense to me.

WU8Y likes this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If it is so important, then why could the Technicians not be bothered to even show up and vote in the ARRL polls (plural) that were taken explicitly for the purposes of supporting their proposal?

Ref: https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?th...hnician-class-hams.601958/page-2#post-4616377
    and: https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?th...hnician-class-hams.601958/page-2#post-4616431

Even when the League directed the poll at members only, the Technician participation rate was abysmal.

If the Techs care, why don't they speak on their own behalf? You somehow have to speak up to save them from CW-only privileges?

ND6M likes this.
  5. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

If I was new to ham radio and didn't know anything about it, I would do some research before investing time in classes and equipment. The ARRL web site makes it perfectly clear that Technicians mainly use UHF/VHF which mainly local communications but Technicians do have some HF privileges if they want to get a taste of HF. From what you are saying, it sounds as if these people showing up for the classes have been sold a bill of goods by someone else. I'm an ARRL registered instructor and also teach and I've never had someone show up for a Technician class thinking they were going to be talking to the other side of the globe with that class of license.

6. KB6E

KB6E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It should be allowed to test for General without having to go through Tech. You should still be able to go Tech and then General, but also go straight to General. The question pool is the same, so exams don't neet to change.

The General exam is more complicated, but really not by a whole lot. This way you give access to HF in one single step, and also keep the nay-sayers happy (uhmm... not so sure about the latter though...).

7. K8PG

K8PG Subscriber QRZ Page

Good for you Paul .
    Do Not Let these QRZers
    Goat you.
    Take your time no rush.
    Have Fun While Learning.

KK5R and WE4B like this.
  8. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Technicians have HF privileges and have more now than they did before 2007 when all Technicians got the privileges that Tech+ holders had. If they want more bandwidth they can upgrade. I don't know what else to say.

9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Techs gained privileges when the TECH license (AKA the COMMUNICATOR license) was created.

There were two separate elements that had to be passed.

KA4DPO likes this.
  10. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

You are right, mostly. What I am saying is that the class of license determines your privileges, not the content of the test you took. IOW, people holding the same license class may have taken radically different tests, but have the same privileges. When new privileges are added, they are allocated to a certain class or class of licensee. There is no new test that this person needs to take to get those privileges, they are simply assigned to that license class, as determined by the FCC. No new testing is required.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.