ARRL Petitions FCC for HF Phone Privileges for Technicians

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Mar 1, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

A Participation Trophy for anyone mentally or physically challenged is something to rightly be proud of.

For anyone else to even accept one is pathetic!

K1OIK likes this.
  2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

All allocations come from the FCC. They choose who to give them to. The new bands could have been allocated to extras only, for example. Allocations are pretty much arbitrary things done by the FCC at the request of some hams, or some organization. But in any case, that general test didn't authorize people to use the new bands, that was something given them by the FCC, for whatever reason.

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What happens is that FCC spends all their "amateur radio service" time chasing Tech privileges, PRB-1 extensions for CC&R, and other such failed ideas, instead of important things like RFI.

Then, you have a whole new crop of Techs, with shiny new licenses, and new HF privileges, they buy nice new HF radios, put up nice shiny new antennas. They turn on the radio, and what do they hear??

"BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ BUZ BUZ BUZZZZZZZZZZZZ BUZZZZZZZZZ BUZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR GR GRRRRRRRRRRRR GRRRRRRRR BZ BZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

At S9+, on the very bands where they have new privileges, 24h per day, 7d per week. They have the privileges to work people on digimodes, but unfortunately, they can't hear anybody on digimodes because of all the racket from Part 15 trash devices.

Why?

Because FCC spent their time on nonsense, rather than on things that affect the whole service. And "whole service" would include "enhanced techs," who will continue to suffer increasing amounts of RFI, because the "national association for amateur radio" didn't think that RFI mattered to radio amateurs, and so neither did FCC.

So the power lines continue to disintegrate, and the grow lights continue to be imported and set up in neighboring garages, and Techs will have shiny new pivileges -- totally unusable -- because people like you chased nonsense issues like this with FCC instead of insisting that important service-wide issues be solved first.

4. K7JEM

Some people come to class because they hear about it from others. Maybe they have always harbored some desire to be a ham, or remember something from their youth. Yes, a large majority of the people I see getting licensed are older people, not youth. Your daughter is an anomaly, not the normal thing going on in ham radio today. That is why her story is interesting, because it is so different than most other stuff out there.

If there was no barrier to entry, everyone would be a ham. The truth is, it takes a lot of hours of study and dedication for most people to get a ham license. The fact that you or I could walk in and pick up a tech test and breeze through it in 15 minutes without a lick of study doesn't mean it isn't hard, or isn't a barrier. It just means that we are experienced enough to do that. But the barrier does exist.

WU8Y likes this.
  5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

The study material (GASP) is pretty clear as to what reasonable results are to be expected at those freqs. I'm confident that you teach that too.

Its an ENTRY level license. With ENTRY level privileges. The upgrade to General is easy.

What is so hard to understand?

KR3DX likes this.
  6. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Ideally it's a form of "pull-push" marketing, with the League mostly pulling and engaged local Ham groups or individuals pushing.

This proposed Tech license change is an example of increasing the pull force, to further stimulate HF use, new Hams to join, and existing Tech's to continue to upgrade.

KK5R and WE4B like this.
  7. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a 35 question test. If my 11 year old can pass it, anyone can. She's bright but not a genius. Heck, as dumb as I was I was able to learn code and upgrade through the ranks. Now it's even easier since you don't have to learn code. I really and truly don't think a 35 question test is a barrier for someone that truly wants to operate on frequencies that can span the globe. Technicians already have HF privileges, if they want more they should have to upgrade. Life is a series of tests.

KK5R likes this.
  8. K7JEM

We are not talking about lowering any admission standards here, we are talking about expanded privileges, something that happens on a regular basis throughout ham radio history. But expanded privileges for generals seems to be OK, for techs, not so much.

N2EY likes this.
  9. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Technicians got additional privileges when Tech+ was eliminated.

10. K7JEM

Well, if you knew nothing about ham radio, what would you assume "entry level" meant? I think as hams we just assume regular people have all kinds of knowledge about our hobby, but they don't. Most older people I run into think ham radio is something for talking around the world, that is what is shown on the TV shows that depict it. So, when they come to the first class and find out what their privileges are, they are sometimes disappointed. The reality doesn't meet their expectation. But it could be closer.

WU8Y and KK5R like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.