ARRL Petitions FCC for HF Phone Privileges for Technicians

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Mar 1, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

You mention that a lot, like listening to hams is the same thing as actually participating. That would be like saying you can join in the ice cream eating experience by looking through the window of an ice cream parlor. It's really not the same thing, or even close.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You know; you are right.

I give up.

I have decided to NO LONGER act as a canary in the coal mine.

You can ignore ALL MY comments on the future of ham radio, because , hey, watta I know? I mean, really: when you run an antenna business, and you hear all the crazy things that commercial folks wanna do the the hams bands, I will just listen and hide the ham trophies away.

So I just won't comment at all.

Good luck!

Chip W1YW

3. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope when you teach a Tech class that you quickly let the students know that they will not be working the world on a Baofeng... however they can use two Baofengs and an Arrow antenna and work DX via satellites.

I just cannot see how giving more bandwidth is going to attract anyone else to the hobby or how it is going to magically fill the HF airwaves with thousands of new voices. Of course I could be wrong, as could you. The fact is, neither of us knows for certain what would happen. I do, however, know that Techs already have HF privileges and if they want more all the have to do is pass a 35 question test, which isn't unreasonable.

KK5R likes this.
  4. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah. "Effort and learning" will certainly kill the hobby. :rolleyes: Let's face it, techs don't upgrade because they don't really want it.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    NN4RH, K1OIK and KK5JY like this.
  5. K7JEM

What harm do you think would occur by allowing techs these new privileges? What detrimental thing would happen to that person, or to our hobby, because someone got an additional slice of spectrum? What harm came when generals and extras were allowed access to 60M, 30M, 17M, and 12M?

N2EY likes this.
  6. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

I am right. You can't tell me where this "vast pool" of new people exists.

Best of luck to you as well!

ND6M likes this.
  7. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's more than half the experience. If you are doing radio correctly, you spend most of your time listening, and only a small percentage of your time transmitting. Even while contesting, and even while running in a contest. Well, successfully running. Endless runs of "CQ CQ CQ" on a dead band notwithstanding. ;)
    Advertisers would beg to differ. They acutely recognize the value of dangling enticing imagery and verbal descriptions of their products in front of customers who otherwise might not think about them. If "just listening" wasn't enough to motivate people, then 100% of all broadcast radio ads are wasted money. But those advertisers know they are worth every penny.

How many kids drive a car before they realize they want their driver's license? I bet most kids know they want to drive someday before they even get to grade school. Watching an activity is plenty of motivation for somebody who truly wants to participate.

You are arguing an empty and nonsensical position, my friend. Even kindergarteners know better. ;)

KR3DX likes this.
  8. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

I never said there would be any harm. I just stated that Technicians already have HF privileges should they decide to use them and if they want more privileges they can take a 35 question test.

KK5JY likes this.
  9. K7JEM

Yes, that is a common response. Makes no sense, but it is a common response.

It's easy to say someone doesn't want something because they are not willing to do whatever it takes, right now, to get that. It could be that they are unwilling or unable to attain that goal for whatever reason, a reason we might not know. But they might still want that.

10. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

They can get it with a 35 question test.

KR3DX, W5TTW and KK5JY like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.