ARRL Petitions FCC for HF Phone Privileges for Technicians

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Mar 1, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I see...

So out of some 378,000 Technician Class Licensees, a number given by the ARRL in their 2/28/18 announcement (ref. http://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-requests-expanded-hf-privileges-for-technician-licensees), your factoid is based from a personal observation of being involved in dozens of VE tests, a few personally known Technician Class Licensees, and a hope that your experience is not isolated.

AC0OB likes this.
  2. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

That is a steadily climbing number. Today their report for March 1st put the number of currently licensed Techs at a new milestone high of 379,034
    http://www.arrl.org/fcc-license-counts

I wonder how many of the new Techs are even considering joining the ARRL

3. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Heck, if we want to dream, here's my view: Firstly, I'm to the US like King Hussain was to Jordan. I increase FCC budget by a factor of 10, and get them hiring enforcement agents, fire all the commissioners and replace them with engineers. The lawyers can stay on if they want to serve as advisors for legal matters. Next we set up inspection points at all ports and anywhere else off-shore manufactured appliance crap comes in, and they randomly pull appliance cargo for RFI tests, and the new standard is NO unintentional emissions detectable beyond 3 feet from the product. If failing, the whole boat has to turn around and go back to China or wherever it came from. Now, ham radio. We ditch the whole VEC thing, and FCC gives the tests again, including CW. Everyone who got a license from a VEC has to get re-tested. I'd also start up 1st class phone and telegraph and require them for work at commercial radio sites. Essentially we'd go back to the status quo circa 1975. The number of licensed hams would probably drop to 40,000. So what. The remaining folks would actually be interested in radio as a hobby. How do you like them apples?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    KR3DX, AC0OB and (deleted member) like this.
  4. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

They taste of poppies... :D;)

5. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I still post my 1st Phone from '76 (uncancelled) next to my ham ticket in the shack.

Worked hard enuf fer both.

73DG

WD4IGX likes this.
  6. K2HN

K2HN Subscriber QRZ Page

WZ5Q likes this.
  7. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem is that people get disenchanted before they upgrade. They don't experience enough interaction with other hams, or see the benefit to ham radio by simply trying out 2M FM. In the past, people had a pretty good time and a good experience with repeater operation and interacting with other hams, because there has generally been at least some people to talk with. Lately, maybe the last 10 years or so, repeater operation has dropped off considerably for many areas. The new hams are not getting enough experience or exposure to the other things the hobby offers. They try repeaters, find it boring, and quit. There are lots more distractions today, like internet, smart phones, and other means of communications. Things that didn't exist to the same extent a decade ago.

Many hams that are coming to the hobby today are older people, usually 40+ years old. They come because they remember something from their youth that made them interested in radio. They have ideas that they will be communicating with people all over the country, or all over the world. Then they find out that this won't necessarily happen, and it is not something they will be able to do until they get another test passed. I have actually had people quit coming to tech prep classes when they figured this out, and I know many others who have simply dropped out and become inactive. It gets discouraging to people, especially older people, when something they thought was going to happen doesn't happen.

The idea with the proposal is to grant certain new phone allocations on HF, and add digital modes to the existing CW allocation. The thought is that having access to usable HF frequencies may keep them interested, and get them to upgrade. The incentive to upgrade is actually increased, once the licensee has invested in a radio and an antenna to operate on HF. Without viable bands and modes at his disposal, the current tech is not as likely to spend the money and effort to get an HF station going. Once he has a positive experience, he will be more willing to study and upgrade to get a larger slice of bandwidth.

WU8Y likes this.
  8. KB3OUK

KB3OUK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm, and here I always thought that being limited to vhf/uhf and a small sliver of hf cw was incentive enough to upgrade to general, at least it was for me at age 13. Guess now everyone wants even more encouragement.

WZ5Q likes this.
  9. KB3OUK

KB3OUK Ham Member QRZ Page

I should add to that, if people really want to start out with hf privileges, just study a little harder for the general and take tech and general at the same session, it is possible.

K1OIK and WZ5Q like this.
  10. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL, now that's funny right there! :D:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.