ARRL Petitions FCC for HF Phone Privileges for Technicians

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Mar 1, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not following this. If nothing changes, as far as entrance exams, how is that easing them? It does increase the privileges allocated to technicians, but privileges are not the same as entrance requirements. I think a lot of people get the test confused with the privileges, they are two separate things.

If we assume that the test qualifies the applicant to be an amateur radio operator, then that person is "qualified" to do whatever the test says he can do. We can't assume that a person qualified to operate 200 watts SSB on 28.4 MHz is somehow unqualified to operate at 28.8MHz or 21.400 MHz. Those frequency allocations are pretty much arbitrarily chosen by the FCC with input from hams, and others. Changing those bands and modes doesn't suddenly make the person unable or unqualified to operate there, those are simply defined by the rules.

Correct, but we already have this, so nothing new. Techs already have SSB privileges on HF, this just expands them. Adds additional modes to the subbands. But actually a very simple administrative change for the FCC to implement, by adding a few words to part 97. The petition shows the changes to part 97 to accomplish this proposal, and it is not a whole lot of added stuff.

2. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The U.S. license class status quo is dysfunctional to the point that it should probably be overhauled. Going forward three classes, Extra, General and something introductory, called Communicator or something. Existing licenses grandfathered but Techs wanting the HF subbands need to take a test examining pertinent knowledge needed for operation of a fixed HF station etc. and upgrade to Communicator. the "Technician" name is now meaningless. Communicator class (or Novice, or Beginner, Foundation class...whatever works) would also have CW allocations. You don't have to know CW to get it, but why not make it available to foster CW use.

There might even be some sort of vanity Super Extra class, no extra privileges, just bragging rights, that would involve a high level of knowledge and CW skill, sort of like a 1st Class Telegraph test, given once a year by FCC at some central QTH. A real ham exam involving essay questions and drawing schematics etc. like the old days.

That's probably too much to ask for, but getting the ARS down to three classes and no new Tech. tickets issued, just the three mentioned going forward seems reasonable.

N8VIL, WD4IGX, KM1H and 1 other person like this.
  3. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

But the ARRL proposal appears to "de-incentivize" the whole incentive-licensing theory.

Phil

K1OIK and WZ5Q like this.
  4. K7JEM

You're probably right about the license classes and privileges needing an overhaul, but it is not likely to happen. As far as how the tests are given, that is not likely to change. Even the commercial FCC exams have a posted question pool and multiple choice tests, just like ours. If the FCC thinks that this form of testing is sufficient for licensees that deal with actual life and death communications systems, why would we think it would not be sufficient for a hobby?

WU8Y likes this.
  5. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

They should bring back the CW test and make everyone re take it every 5 years or so.
    Also add a soldering test, and also require everyone to make at least 3 contacts over satellite.

W1TRY and K1OIK like this.
  6. K7JEM

I think if you read the proposal, you will see that this isn't the case. The incentives are still there. What it does do is allow new hams to get a better taste of what is going on, especially on HF, and make them more willing to upgrade for the additional privileges if they want. Right now, most techs do not get on HF because there is nothing for them to experience, other than CW.

KC3BZJ and WU8Y like this.
  7. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

The unfortunate premise behind their proposal relies on a regulatory solution for a marketing problem. Their attorney failed to submit any research connecting recruitment of outsiders with the claimed merit of the League's Petition. Thus, existing licensees are asked to shoulder the burden of a proposed ARRL experiment that would have permanent consequences.

K1OIK, WZ5Q and AC0OB like this.
  8. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

VJB: "The unfortunate premise behind their proposal relies on a regulatory solution for a marketing problem. Their attorney failed to submit any research connecting recruitment of outsiders with the claimed merit of the League's Petition. Thus, existing licensees are asked to shoulder the burden of a proposed ARRL experiment that would have permanent consequences."

I think you nailed it. :cool:

Phil

K1OIK, K2HN and WZ5Q like this.
  9. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

And from where, pray tell, did you find this factoid?

10. K7JEM

That is from personal observation with the techs I am familiar with. As a VE, I have been involved in dozens of tests over the last 15 years or so, and most of those testing go for tech. Many of those never become active at all, the portion that do get on 2M FM. I can't think of a single tech that I know that has gotten on HF, except maybe 10M SSB.

In any case, I don't think my experience is isolated..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.