ARRL Petitions FCC for HF Phone Privileges for Technicians

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Mar 1, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

"...The FCC has not yet invited public comment on the proposals, which stem from recommendations put forth by the ARRL Board of Directors’ Entry-Level License Committee, which explored various initiatives and gauged member opinions in 2016 and 2017..."

1) did anyone here get a questionnaire regarding this?

2) why was this committee formed in the first place?

Golly, if and when they do invite comment, I will send the FCC a list of reasons why this should NOT be done.

Phil

2. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

This proposal seems unfair to all the people who carefully memorized the question pool in the past.

K1OIK, WA3VJB, AC0OB and 1 other person like this.
  3. W8KHK

W8KHK Ham Member QRZ Page

I read about this for the first time today in ARLB007 and later today in the ARRL Letter. Yes, I believe it should be discussed here too. I do not frequent the other forums.

I am dead-set against providing extended HF phone privileges to technicians. I have been a VE for several years, and I believe folks should study, and earn their privileges. I really wonder whether the impetus for this latest ARRL proposal might just be so the advertisers may sell more plastic radios????? Listening to some of what goes on in the phone segments today makes me wonder how these people obtained their license in the first place.

I personally believe the question pools should be reviewed and revised such that rote memorization is NOT the common method of obtaining the tech license, then upgrading the same way. Of course, memorization is necessary to answer such things as rules and regulations and operating practice, but I think the majority of the exams should require comprehension and understanding of the technical material. It is possible to word the questions in a manner that practical knowledge is required to pass the test, even if it means increasing the number of questions in the pool, and the number of various exams for each class of license, that pure memorization of the correct answer is impractical and fruitless.

The ARRL stated in their notice that the changes will attract more young people, interested in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) to the amateur ranks. Certainly this field of study benefits from understanding and applying the basics, rather than cramming just to pass the test. An example of the success of STEM is the First Robotics competitions.

Just my two cents..... Rant over.

K1OIK likes this.
  4. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm all for encouraging newcomers who might be genuinely interested in radio to get on the air and eventually contribute something positive to the art. But the last thing we need is to further ease entrance requirements in such a manner as to swell the ranks of the Handy PTT Coiled Cord Mic crowd.

WC1E, K1OIK and N8AFT like this.
  5. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The proposal isn't about easing entrance requirements, it's about adding privileges to the technician license class. The test will be the same one that has been given for decades.

KC3BZJ and WU8Y like this.
  6. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

The technician class license does not need any more privileges. If they want more, then the technicians can go take the test that will upgrade their existing privileges to the next level.

WC1E, KR3DX, N3UIQ and 4 others like this.
  7. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC has accepted into its database the ARRL's Petition. The group's document itself, better seen than any interpretations or summaries elsewhere, is located at this link:

https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filing/1022823795806

8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

"The entry-level license should offer limited operating privileges, but those privileges have to be (1) sufficient for the licensee to experience enough of the many facets of Amateur Radio, including nationwide and worldwide communications to nurture an interest in proceeding further, but (2) not so comprehensive a portfolio that the range of topics on which the entry-level examination candidate must be examined becomes so extensive and cumbersome that the license examination becomes daunting."

you can have one or the other,................... the ARRL wants to have both

9. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do you think you can't have both? And they are not suggesting changes to the testing, only to the privileges.

10. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Semantics.

Yes, the proposed change would effectively ease entrance requirements for HF phone privileges in the U.S.
    Not by making any existing examination easier, but by easing the fundamental licence class requirement.

It would further encumber the already dizzying matrix of sub-bands and sub-sub bands unique to U.S. amateur privileges. Our HF bands would be further diced into Extra, Advanced, General, Novice and Technican licence class sub-bands, intertwined with CW/RTTY/Data and Phone/Image mode sub-bands.

KR3DX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.