ad: ProAudio-1

ARRL Petitions FCC for HF Phone Privileges for Technicians

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Mar 1, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You are obviously new here. :(

The good news is that the subject of the OP appears to have been discussed to conclusion. ;)

WE4B likes this.
  2. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No I'm not new... Just hopeful.

WE4B and W1YW like this.
  3. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Chip,

Thanks for the reply. I regret that the ARRL's "my way or the highway" is at the root of the issue. Notwithstanding your son and your justifiable pride in him, there is really no regulatory reason to change the rules, no survival aspect requiring a change of the rules. Amateur Radio continues to grow and there are things that can be done to retain technician licensees that don't require a rule change.

We're back to "my way or the highway". Instead of real effort to retain licensees, the League arbitrarily proposes a rule change. These folks already passed the entry test. They are a sure thing if you can just give them something to do until they decide to upgrade. Activities through ARRL affilited clubs would seem like a logical step.

My oldest son did well in school, he's a great dad and raising very smart girls. He's a District Manager where he works, a work ethic I hope he got from me. I would love him to become ham, but he has no interest and more HF access means nothing.

WK0DX and WE4B like this.
  4. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

What was the final conclusion?

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It's frustrating not to have our kids see how much enjoyment we get out of ham radio, and that we want to pass it on. These days it often doesn't take. But, that can change. I never ever expected my son to get involved with telecom/wireless. Now its hot, sexy. And Hams BUILT THIS CITY. I think he is coming to that conclusion with a great deal of surprise and new curiosity.

Yes, the ARRL has been very heavy handed on many past issues. But if you read Barry, N1VXY's editorial a couple of month's back, there is a true sense of moving forward an reconciliation. I think its genuine.

I am old enough to know that you just gotta keep on trying:)

On a related topic, its too bad John and I struck each other the wrong way. But we're hams, and I suspect we will both move on and forget about our exchange. My offer to stand him a beer is genuine :)

One of the reasons we value ham radio is its true sense of friendship. Sometimes, and that includes me, we forget this.

But our compass (rotator?) always brings us back.

Chip W1YW

WE4B likes this.
  6. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. I’m sure his son is very productive member of society. The ARRL really needs to get its act together and start listening to its member. I’m a member so I can legitimately complain.

W1YW likes this.
  7. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Several people on the ZED like to hug from the back, and that can be a real PITA!

W1YW, ND6M and WE4B like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep.

No longer on 'ignore':)

WE4B likes this.
  9. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Believe me I have my share of detractors. I forget skirmishes quickly. Not all are like that, and its a shame.

WE4B and W1YW like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There is none. There are several opposing views, each with a basis for legitimacy.

What I DO want to stress is that this particular ARRL initiative was done with lots of input and feedback, and you couldn't have a more reasonable leader on it than K1KI. And no; I don;t totally agree with the final initiative, but I am OK, knowing what it took to get there.

If you (that is anyone with any opinion) see Tom, K1KI, in Dayton, you should speak to him and give him your thoughts.

WE4B likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.