ad: Schulman-1

ARRL Petitions FCC for HF Phone Privileges for Technicians

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Mar 1, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

^This.

WE4B and K1FBI like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

..because he wants to try the waters. And won't put the time in to study 150 pages of a question pool.

By analogy, a lot more people took up the guitar when 'tablature' was created. Before that, learning guitar was 5 times more time consuming.

My suggestion is that people get past looking at the ARRL as some autocratic /'my way or the hiway' entity. Look and see who was in charge or championing a certain activity or initiative instead.

In this case, Tom K1KI ran the show and did a great job. You will find him eminently willing to discuss the 'new license class' discussion, this Tech proposal, and so on.

Of course, some here find the possibility of talking with that 'source' not as troll-worthy as bitching about having posters provide the info...or some blanket diss of the ARRL.

For example---1967 and incentive licensing. A hint guys: that was --50-- years ago and the people involved are DEAD. Get over it, please.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  3. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Won't take the time to study 150 questions?

This instant gratification/life owes me generation is sad.

Let's suppose someone wants to try the waters at Adult life; yet doesn't want to invest the time at school to study.

I hope McDonald's has a good 401k.

WG7X, KR3DX and WE4B like this.
  4. KK5JY

Some of us talked to the source, and were ignored. At this point, it's a bit late to talk to the source, because the petition is now before the Commission. If the source was going to produce evidence, it's also a little late now, as it didn't make it into the petition.

5. KK5JY

That is definitely the trend. Somebody who can't be bothered to take two short tests isn't interested, no matter what he might tell his dad.

WG7X, K1FBI, KR3DX and 1 other person like this.
  6. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

I bet he's doing OK. Folks under 30 do find ways of making money. My son is 15 and he's already got more dollar capital from bitcoin than I ever had in cash.

7. KK5JY

Make sure he sets aside plenty of dollars for taxes. :eek:

8. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Then couldn't he go ahead and take the current Technician test now and try it out. It does have some HF privileges. You could also be a control op for him and let him work the world using your equipment while you spend father/son time together. That has been a real joy of having my daughter involved and being able to spend time with her, just like we did for the Walmart Parking Lots on the Air event this past weekend.

I doubt there are very many people hanging out the shadows waiting for the FCC to allocate more bandwidth to Technician class licenses. Once again, that's just my opinion, I could be totally wrong.

9. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Then again you very well may be totally right.
    :)

WG7X, WE4B and ND6M like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

<Ignored>

K1OIK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.