ARRL Petitions FCC for HF Phone Privileges for Technicians

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Mar 1, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, I think there are many that do care but their view of the hobby tends to be in EMCOMM at the local level or preppers that will probably never actually participate in traditional amateur radio activities. There are many that will enjoy the hobby and upgrade. I just don't see how giving more bandwidth would encourage anyone to upgrade if they weren't already inclined to do so.

WG7X, KR3DX, NL7W and 1 other person like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

<Ignored>

3. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

The absolute absurdity of the petition:

blob.jpg
    WOW!!!! Ham radio is increasing
    HF privileges for Technician licensees...
    It's what I have been waiting for.
    I'll be taking the test this weekend!

blob.jpg
    Us too!! More HF? Thanks ARRL!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    K1OIK, W5TXR, NN4RH and 6 others like this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess that's what I was trying to say, and I just did a poor job of it...

The techs didn't care about the ideas presented by the ELL committee enough to comment on it. You are absolutely correct that the ones that care about the hobby will either be happy with what they have, or they will upgrade.

I know many hams -- only two are Techs. One just wanted to talk to her significant other on the local repeater, and the other only got his license to do weather spotting. The rest upgraded post-haste.

5. KK5JY

I have been to several club meetings and hamfests and I have never seen that crew in attendance. :eek:

NL7W likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

My son is 26. Smart guy. Works in telecom/wireless.

He said he will get his Tech IF the new ARRL petition gets approved.

True. Unsolicited.

You should talk with 'young people'--in Part 97 that means younger than 60-- and get their feedback. Not speculate.

KY5U, N2EY and NL7W like this.
  7. KK5JY

Too bad ARRL didn't get that advice... :oops:

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

<Ignored>

9. KK5JY

Just like the League...

NL7W likes this.
  10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Chip, I don't doubt you but what is the ARRL doing to reach amateur radio clubs, schools with club stations and promote activities for Techs today. No it's easier for the League to keep throwing spaghetti against the wall to see what sticks. They believe there is some magic formula?

I disagree that I should talk with young people as I am not proposing the petition. The ARRL should be talking to them through programs to give them activities with existing privileges.

Final question and I mean this with respect: Since your son is a smart guy with experience, why does he need a more simple Tech test. Why not just take the current test then upgrade to General?

KR3DX likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.