ARRL Petition to Expand Technician Privileges

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Mar 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W2AI

W2AI QRZ Lifetime Member #240 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You're placing way too much emphasis on this topic. Most newcomers to amateur radio are self-taught through trial and error. Not every newcomer would even want to venture into the "promised land of HF operation" due to monetary restraints and possible antenna restrictions/encumbrances. For most people getting into amateur radio; it's starting out with a hand-held VHF transceiver. Making a few contacts and quickly losing interest . That is human nature. Those with a serious interest will stick with the hobby in spite of human "obstacles and road blocks" that might be present. As with any venture in life; it is what one makes of it.

2. W2AI

I like Rufus and Koda!

3. KD0TLS

KD0TLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't approach this with any attitude, but your clumsy efforts to dismiss my statements are noted.

My question was, "What were the factors that prompted you to stop getting on the air?"

After that, the questions were basically as I laid out. "Were you ever treated like you were stupid?", and "Did you find that a lack of technical knowledge kept you from doing what you wanted?"

Again, this wasn't a scientific study. It wasn't intended to be. It was intended as a way to find out why these people had left amateur radio. In virtually all cases, I was speaking to people over the phone, after establishing initial contact through other means.

And again, as I previously noted, the primary "attitude" was that I was trying to convince them to return to the air, not to stay away.

Those that remained active (ten in total) were asked, "Were you ever treated like you were stupid?" and "Did you receive sufficient help to pursue your interests?"

Had I known that this informal study would have been subjected to academic standards, I would have handled it differently. It was conducted like a friend speaking to another friend, not as an impersonal pollster. These were all people that had got their licence within a year of me, with the strong majority being those becoming licenced after me. In many cases, the questions (as outlined above), were submitted via email with time for the respondents to think things over before I followed up.

As it was, I received an earful. There was plenty of opportunity for the expression of opinions contrary to my so-called "attitude". If anything, I had expected those that left to complain about the limitations of FM repeaters. Instead, it was uniformly about how they were treated by senior hams. I was quite surprised to find my own experiences substantiated. Among those that remained, the responses were also surprisingly uniform: if you can overlook the negatives, you can carve out a social niche and advance to a position where you will be accepted (i.e General Class).

Again, and relevant to the question being considered, no one volunteered that a lack of HF privileges led to their abandonment of amateur radio. Those that left found an unwelcome social environment. Those that persevered found ways to overcome that unwelcome social environment.

If anything, the bias regarding this issue is found among senior hams who question only those who parrot the responses expected. There are serious social consequences for those expressing 'heretical' views. Commonly, the group-think requires that we only question those that remain active, with the tacit understanding that the 'wrong' answers will result in condescension and a demotion in their social rank. Frankly, if anyone has made up their minds in advance on these issues, it's senior hams. Part of becoming 'accepted' is parroting the 'proper' responses (e.g. "I am an idiot and you are wonderfully open-minded for overlooking my idiocy").

I have no idea how this warped social order 'encourages' anyone. It seems to be largely a way for a few to feel superior. You can't have superiors without inferiors, after all. Beyond that, it seems to be a clumsy way of sorting out "undesirables" (i.e. those that refuse to salute your seniority with the requisite enthusiasm).

Over and over again, we see senior hams pointing to those that remain (and the numbers that include those that abandoned them) as some kind of 'proof' that they are doing things right. They require gratitude from these people, whether it is deserved or not, and point to their 'proper' responses to bolster their preconceived notions.

But, yeah, I must just be biased. After all, who would take a Technician Class licensee seriously? What do I know? I'm not even saying the 'proper' things. The people who got their licences forty years ago are the real experts on the challenges those that are currently entering the hobby face. I should be humbly agreeing with them. If only I weren't so stupid...

WZ7U likes this.
  4. KD0TLS

Golly gosh, what would a poor idiot Tech like me know about new hams?

Of course, you are proving my point: these people aren't hungering to get on HF. It isn't because of a lack of privileges. It isn't because they are stupid or lazy, either.

Many find an unwelcome social environment and leave. It seems that they are treated like idiots and their opinions are disregarded by senior hams.
    But, of course, that must never happen. Thank you, Glorious and All-Knowing Elder, for taking the time to tell me the proper way to think.

5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

To paraphrase, it's better people think you have an attitude than to respond to a simple question as you did and thereby prove it.

ND6M and NN4RH like this.
  6. W2AI

7. W2AI

8. KD0TLS

Whatever you think comprises my attitude, I answered your questions truthfully and completely. I looked back on the emails that were previously sent and provided you with word-for-word responses.

Can you explain how asking, "What were the factors that prompted you to stop getting on the air?" comprises an "attitude"?

Perhaps my "attitude" comes from years of senior hams treating me like a moron, and finding out that other people had similar experiences. Or, perhaps it comes from senior hams responding with condescension whenever I discuss it (Awww, the poor widdle Techie had a bad expewience).

Either way, it seems that your informed and experienced response is reject everything that I presented out of hand. Why? Because what I said doesn't conform to your pre-conceived notions. In short, the only way for you to take me seriously is to agree with you. And you fail to see that this proves my point. Further, you fail to see that others have noticed this odd 'requirement' of speaking with senior hams: absolute agreement.

You have failed to discuss this matter with any semblance of rationality or intelligence. Is this, perhaps, what makes you superior to the ordinary Technician Class licence-holder? You begin with the 'right' answers and build a discussion around that. Anything outside of that is put down to idiocy or "attitude".

WZ7U likes this.
  9. KD0TLS

Yeah, now I see why I put you on "ignore". It's because of your insightful and trenchant responses that merely seem to add nothing to the discussion.
    Thanks for posting your silly pictures that fail to advance the discussion. You really provided me with a lot to think about.

10. W2AI

Some people seem to take this hobby way too seriously...….sad to say but true.

W4IOA and KK5JY like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.