ad: Mircules-1

ARRL OO Notices for JT65 Users

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by NN4F, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NN4F

NN4F Premium Subscriber

Hello,

In the past few months, several hams that are in groups that I frequent have received OO notices for "Bad Practices" on JT65

I'm one of SC's Asst. Section Managers and I'm putting together a file that we are working on, if you have received an OO notice, I know you may not want to make it public, so if you would email me at paul@nn4f.com, with the reason for the note and the OO that issued the note, I can add it to our complaint....THIS ONLY FOR JT65 Operations...

I will not make your details public unless you specify....

Thanks, Paul - NN4F

2. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber

Without specifics, what is going on in JT65 world?

3. NN4F

NN4F Premium Subscriber

Notices issued for items, that are not violations, one or two different OO's take on what should and shouldn't be sent...

4. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber

I'm surprised the OO's would send a notice for this!

5. WG7X

WG7X Ham Member

Good Lord, What could be so bad about the very small messages sent via JT65?

Just for the masses, JT65 is used only to send signal reports in X number of dB and sometimes a 13 character macro. This is also done in a mode that considers 20 watts as "very high power". Usual wattage is ten watts or less.

That's it.

If someone is getting their panties in a wad over JT65 transmission, they either have a screw loose (most likely) or they have some other agenda.

Which is it?

Inquiring minds want to know, furthermore, who are these "groups" that are targeted?

If you're gonna air a bit of dirty laundry, air it all.

73 Gary

6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

I really don't get this, maybe some more explanation is needed.

7. NN4F

NN4F Premium Subscriber

We have had OO notices sent for Non-ID at the end of transmission, when in fact a CW ID was sent, and some that tell that the signal was too wide on JT65, where improper measuring tools were used to name but a few.

I'm just trying to find out how widespread the issue goes...

8. NN4F

NN4F Premium Subscriber

Gary, just some groups of ops on Facebook and Yahoo... nothing major, but they are starting to add up.

9. KB2URI

KB2URI Ham Member

ok ill speak up

I got one. Pardon any typos I'm doing this mobile.

So I got one off a q I worked with get this an oo. I admit I ended the q by sending the default lite pseud tu73 msg, and the PO listed non I'd as the reason.

First I thought oo's wernt supposed to get involved in things they have an interest in, and secondly after getting the notice I double checked my settings and the cw Id was on. So I WA like um what did I so wrong?

Second, I found it funny to get a notice before a qsl . Isn't the final courtesy a qsl? Not an oo notice? Strangest qsl ever.

Theirs the tone of the notice just came off wrong. An oo notice requires no reply per the form. Yet this oo 'asked' MD to email additional details.

Just all struck me as odd.
    -Tom

10. WG7X

WG7X Ham Member

OK... This sounds like a problem with the "Official Observer" program.

Maybe they, as a group, need remedial training? In order for them to be taken seriously their reports need to be above reproach.

Sounds like that is not happening.

73 Gary

11. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber

Once again, SOMEONE needs MOONING!

12. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member

I would tend to agree, too a fine edge on the letter of the law.

13. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber

[​IMG]

14. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber

If they sent out such notices in the wake of monitoring a contest or a DXpedition, the post office wouldn't need to end Saturday delivery.

15. W4PG

W4PG Moderator Staff Member

Well if this is the issue, I'd suggest the OOs get on the air this next weekend during the ARRL CW DX contest. They will hear thousands of folks who don't ID at the end of a QSO. Clearly there is more to this than meets the eye. I mean, JT-65?? Seriously???

Wow!!

16. KN3A

KN3A Premium Subscriber

Maybe it's because the O.O.'s can't copy CW? I worked the CQWW RTTY contest this weekend, there were TONS of OO notices that could have gone out. And, next weekend in the CW contest, you're right it could be another OO fest, but they won't do anything because this is a ARRL contest weekend.

17. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber

Glad I don't have an OO following me around! I'd have a whole REAM of paper of OO notices!

My CW QSOs almost NEVER end with an ID!

First Transmission (and many subsequent until answered)
    "WA6MHZ"
    Last Transmission
    "RR 5NN TU"

So SEND ME A PINK TICKET!!!!!!!!!!!

18. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber

I disagree. All transmissions should be treated with equality in respect to the law. If I were operating JT65 and something wasn't right, I'd like to know about it.

Or, it is possible, someone doesn't expect a CW ID immediately following a JT65 transmission. I can imagine scenarios where it's possible to miss the CW ID. However, I would expect an OO to be paying attention to that.

19. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member

not trying to hi-jack the thread, but,...... OO notices have been sent out for ID issues on other modes too

it almost seems that some OO's don't know what an IMAGE or DATA emission really is, and the ID requirements associated with them

ok,........ back to the origional topic

20. VE3FMC

VE3FMC XML Subscriber

As I stated over on Eham. The OO needs to get a LIFE. If he has nothing better to do than sit around monitoring JT65 QSO all day then he has a serious mental health issue he needs to deal with.

Plus anyone who has the CQ ID checked off is going to send a CW ID at the end of the Added Text transmission. Poor OO can't copy CW maybe?

Move on, the OO is wasting someone's time and energy making a fuss about nothing. I would like the Section Manager who is getting the complaints to come out and tell us who the OO is. But we all know that won't happen.

I am damn glad the OO can not send me a pink slip, if he did he would sure as hell hear back from me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.