ARRL Loses Potential Members and Considerable Revenue

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE0KZ, Apr 25, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

You're probably right, and I will try not to say things like that again.

But then, back in those days there were fewer ham and fewer opportunities for them to mingle with those people.

K1VSK likes this.
  2. WB8NUT

WB8NUT Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing about digital magazines. The advertising revenue is much lower. Reason is readers do not retain digital advertisements as well as they do with print ads so advertisers are not willing to pay much for digital ads. Second, no matter which way they go with digital only, people will bitch. People bitch about Zinio, people bitch about ARRL's current digital app to read QST. People want PDFs, but those can be easily pirated and sent all around which will diminish the amount of revenue and memberships.

I want a paper magazine. I read some digital magazines but rarely. I actually hate reading them on digital devices.

Companies who have tried going all digital have seen their subscription revenue drop off substantially and they end up bringing back print along with digital. ARRL is doing both - they are just not doing an either/or subscription. The price for membership is reasonable. I always have subscribed multi-year to get the discount.